Saints Squeeze Out Another Victory
PENSACOLA, FL (July 10, 2007) - The St. Paul Saints didn't have this many one run games in all of the first half, but on Tuesday night they played their fifth one run ballgame in eight contests in the half winning 7-6 over the Pensacola Pelicans at Pelican Park.
The Saints got to the Pelicans bullpen all night long and with the score tied at six in the ninth they got to closer Chris Thompson. Brian Sprout led off with a single to right. He was sacrificed to second by Skip Adams and then scored on an RBI single from Alex Fonseca for the one run lead.
In the ninth Byron Embry made it interesting. With two outs Cesar Aranguren singled to right. He advanced to second on a passed ball and went to third on an infield single by Napolean Calzado. Marcos Rodriguez then hit a slow grounder to the right side and secondbaseman Alex Fonseca ranged to his left, threw across his body and got Rodriguez for the final out of the game.
The Saints took a 3-1 lead in the sixth when Marcel Longmire brought in a run on a fielding error by shortstop Ricardo Cordova. Skip Adams added an RBI single and Kevin Carlson walked with the bases loaded to force home a run.
After the Pelicans tied it in the sixth the Saints got two runs off of reliever Jeff Rodriguez. With one out Ben Thomas singled to right-center and advanced to second on a wild pitch. Adam Bourassa added an RBI double and after a walk to Longmire, Sprout singled home Bourassa to make it 5-3.
The Saints would take a 6-3 lead in the eighth when Ryan Priddy singled with one out and advanced to third on a Scooter Jordan single. Priddy scored on a balk to make it 6-3.
The Pelicans scored three in the bottom of the inning off of Jon Huizinga, the first three earned runs he had given up in 15.0 innings.
The Saints look for the series and season sweep Wednesday night at 6:35 p.m. The Saints send RHP Justin Lord (1-0, 1.17) against Pelicans RHP Jesen Merle (2-2, 4.64). The game can be heard on KBGY 107.5 FM.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 10, 2007
- Walk-Off RBI Dooms Diablos - El Paso Diablos
- American Association Recap - AA
- Cats Cool Aviators Bats - Coastal Bend Aviators
- Canaries Bite Snakes, 8-7 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sports Snap Funk with Extra Inning Victory - Shreveport-Bossier Captains
- Saints Squeeze Out Another Victory - St. Paul Saints
- Two More Chances to See Pels This Week - Pensacola Pelicans
- After Delay, Aviators Rally But Fall Short - Coastal Bend Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent St. Paul Saints Stories
- Champions: Saints Claim First Title in 15 Years with 6-3 Victory, Sweep Series
- Saints City of Baseball Museum Honored with Top Ballpark Improvement by Ballpark Digest
- Lang Haunts Former Team, Saints Win Game Two of American Association Finals 3-2, One Win Shy of Title
- Saints Draw First Blood, Take Game One of American Association Finals 12-3
- Finals Tickets Now on Sale