Saints Pregame Primer: Lincoln and Omaha
For the first time this regular season, the Saints will head West for a two game swing against the Lincoln Stars and the Omaha Lancers. Dubuque is coming off a weekend in which they were able to grab a point against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders. Dubuque is currently 1-1-1-0 on the season as they go up against the 2-1-1 Stars and the 1-3 Lancers. Here is all you need to get set for the two games this weekend.
-Heading in to week three of the USHL season, Lincoln and Omaha are one and two in the league when it comes to penalty minutes. Lincoln has a league leading 110 penalty minutes while Omaha isn't far behind with 108. Dubuque leads the Eastern Conference with a 23.1% power play, scoring three times in 13 chances.
-The Fighting Saints continue to pepper opposing goaltenders with shots. Through three games this season, Dubuque has thrown 95 shots on goal. Last game, the Saints had 40 shots against the RoughRiders. Dubuque continues to display a shoot first mentality and are knocking at the door of a breakout game.
-Both the Stars and Lancers have allowed 15 goals in the four games they have played this season. Lincoln has been able to combat that with 15 goals of their own. However, Omaha has been able to pot just nine goals on the early season. The Lancers struck for six of those nine in one game against the Lincoln Stars.
-Defensively, only Cedar Rapids, Tri-City and Muskegon have allowed fewer goals than the Fighting Saints this season. Dubuque has allowed eight goals through three games. Including preseason play, Dubuque has allowed over three goals in a game just once.
-As touched on before, Dubuque is on the road often in this stretch of games during October. These will be road games number one and two of October for Dubuque. The team will still have the trip to Youngstown at the end of the month, mixed with a trip to Green Bay next Sunday.
-The Fighting Saints power play has been a weapon during the last two games. As mentioned earlier, the team is currently operating at 23.1% on the season. They have scored three goals in the last two games. Riese Gaber, James Sanchez and Patrick Smyth have been the goal scorers on the power play. Even more encouraging is the fact that all three goals have been scored in very different ways.
-Despite playing two games in Pittsburgh to begin the season, these will be Dubuque's first true road games of the season. The games will be Friday night at 7:05 against Lincoln and Saturday night at 7:05 against Omaha.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from October 11, 2018
- Musketeers Look for Revenge against Roughriders - Sioux City Musketeers
- Fear Commits to Quinnipiac - Green Bay Gamblers
- Saints Name Leadership Group - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Eat, Drink, and Watch Hockey - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Gamblers Host Suicide Awareness Night October 20 - Green Bay Gamblers
- Stampede Weekly Update: Home Opener this Saturday Night - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Saints Pregame Primer: Lincoln and Omaha - Dubuque Fighting Saints
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dubuque Fighting Saints Stories
- Saints Win Goal-Fest against Green Bay with 6-5 Victory
- Explosive Second Period, Power Play Helps Dubuque Down Madison
- Saints March to Madison for Monday Night Matchup
- Dubuque Grabs Point, CR Prevails in 8-Round Shootout
- Greenway and Lipe Tally Two Points Each, Dubuque Clips CR 4-2