Rusty's Birthday Party this Saturday Night
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - Saturday night will be a celebration at Fox Valley Ice Arena as the Steel throw their mascot Rusty his annual birthday party when the team hosts the Omaha Lancers for a 7:05 p.m. faceoff.
The game, historically a fan-favorite, is set to feature an intermission Mascot Hockey Game and fans will have a chance to meet a plethora of local mascots throughout the game. Fun promotions during the game will include a Mascot Kiss Cam and a Mascot Dance Party. Over a dozen mascots from sports teams, schools and businesses are scheduled to attend to celebrate Rusty's birthday. A full list is below.
Saturday will also feature the second of five scheduled opportunities for fans to Skate with the Steel after the game. Fans may bring their own skates or rent them from Fox Valley Ice Arena for $4.
This is the first of two meetings this season between the Chicago Steel (12-7-1-0, 25 pts.) and Omaha Lancers (6-12-0-2, 14 pts.). The second comes Sunday, Feb. 24 when the Steel travel to Ralston Arena for a 4:05 p.m. CT faceoff in Omaha.
A trio of Steel defensemen have found success against Omaha in the past as Matteo Pietroniro has one goal and one assist in a pair of games last season, John Spetz scored a goal in his lone game against the Lancers and Casey Staum averages an assist per game through three contests against Omaha.
Chicago is looking to improve upon an 11-30-3-2 all-time mark against Omaha, and Chicago has split the last three season series against the Lancers. The Steel are 2-1-0-0 against the Lancers at Fox Valley Ice Arena.
Forward Nick Abruzzese, who was named USHL Forward of the Week on Monday, leads the Steel with 22 points (5-17-22) this season. Goaltender Reilly Herbst was also named USHL Goalie of the Week after a 20-save performance against Central Illinois on Saturday, Dec. 1.
Forward Adam Robbins is currently second on the team with 18 points (6-12-18) in 20 games this season. He enters the weekend with points in eight of his last nine games, collecting 11 of his 18 points this season during the stretch.
The Steel enter the weekend on an eight-game winning streak that was extended Tuesday night in a 3-2 win over the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders. Chicago played from behind or tied until 5:44 into the third period when defenseman Matteo Pietroniro netted his seventh of the season. Steel forward Gunnarwolfe Fontaine picked up a pair of goals, including his first career USHL tally. Goaltender Justin Robbins made 26 saves in the come-from-behind win.
The Steel will be without forward Robert Mastrosimone, who is representing Team USA at the World Junior A Challenge, for this weekend's games.
Omaha is led by forward Brendan Furry who has 16 points (7-9-16) in 14 games this season but has two points in the last five games after scoring in eight of the team's first nine games. Forwards Jan Kern and Ryan Savage each have five goals and seven assists this year and are tied for second on the team with 12 points through 20 games.
Tickets for Saturday's game are on sale now starting at just $10 with stadium seating on the glass still available for just $20. Parking is always free.
Chicago start the weekend with a road game Friday, Dec. 7 against Des Moines (13-8-1-1, 28 pts.). The Steel will look to eliminate the memory of a 10-5 loss to the Buccaneers in the second game of the season on Friday, Sept. 28 at the USHL Fall Classic. Steel forward Ryan Doolin scored two goals in the game as forward Neil Shea as well as Spetz and Staum scored the others. The Buccaneers were led by Matt Brown's six-point (3-3-6) performance as well as multi-goal games from TJ Walsh (2-2-4), Jonny Russell (2-1-3) and Tyler Paquette (2-0-2).
Brown currently leads Des Moines scorers with 28 points (17-11-28) in 22 games this season. His 17 goals leads all USHL scorers while his 28 points is fourth in the USHL. With a three-point night (2-1-3), including the winning goal in overtime, in Tuesday's 5-4 win at Sioux Falls, Walsh moved into fifth place among USHL scorers with 27 points (7-20-27). Goaltender Roman Durny is currently 11-6-0-1 this season. His 2.86 goals against average is sixth in the USHL while his and .904 save percentage puts him at sixth in the league.
* Abruzzese added to his team-leading 22 points (5-17-22) with an assist Tuesday night in a 3-2 win over the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders.
* Fontaine collected his first career USHL goal and added a game-tying goal in the third period of Tuesday's win. With his first two career goals, the RPI commit extended his point streak to three games (2-2-4).
* Adam Robbins has collected points in eight of his last nine games. The Princeton commit has picked up 11 points (5-6-11) in the stretch that dates back to November 9.
* Pietroniro netted the game-winning goal on Tuesday night, giving him seven goals this season. His seven goals is second among USHL defensemen this season and his 15 points (7-8-15) is fifth.
* The Steel roster features four former Omaha Lancers who have all found success this season with Chicago. Forwards Cole Quisenberry (5-5-10) and Josh Groll (2-2-4), as well as defenseman Jimmy Dowd (0-2-2) were acquired in a preseason trade while forward Mathieu De St. Phalle was acquired November 1 and has six points (2-4-6) in 11 games with the team.
MEET THE OPPONENTS:
* The Steel travel to Iowa for a Friday night road game with the Buccaneers set for a 7:05 p.m. faceoff.
* Des Moines (13-8-1-1, 28 pts.) is currently tied for second in the Western Conference, and won the only meeting between the two teams this season, a 10-5 shootout at the USHL Fall Classic on September 28.
* Forward Matt Brown (17-11-28) is fourth in the USHL with 28 points and leads all USHL goal scorers with 17 goals. He will miss Friday's game as he represents the United States at the World Junior A Challenge.
* Goaltender Roman Durny is currently 11-6-0-1 this season and his 2.86 goals against average is sixth while his .904 save percentage is seventh in the USHL.
* Chicago hosts Omaha for the first of two meetings this season on Saturday night for a 7:05 p.m. faceoff.
* Omaha (6-12-0-2, 14 pts.) is looking to dig out of an early season hole. Through 20 games, they are currently 8th in the Western Conference with the lowest point total in the USHL.
* Omaha's roster features four former Chicago skaters including forwards Cole Kodsi (3-0-3) and CJ Walker (0-1-1) as well as defenseman Jaden Shields (1-0-1). Former Chicago forward and Clark Cup Champion Austen Long (1-2-3) is also on Omaha's roster this season.
* Goaltender Akira Schmid has appeared in nine games and carries a 1-6-0-0 record into the game against Chicago. He has a 3.22 goals against average and .887 save percentage. The team acquired Jacob Kucharski from Des Moines earlier this season and he is 1-2-0-1 since joining the team.
Friday, Nov. 30 vs. Central Illinois, W, 5-4 RECAP / STATS
Saturday, Dec. 1 at Central Illinois, W, 5-1 RECAP / STATS
Tuesday, Dec. 4 vs. Cedar Rapids, W, 3-2 RECAP / STATS
MASCOTS SCHEDULED TO ATTEND SATURDAY, DEC. 8 GAME:
Aurelio's (Pizza Man)
British Swim School (Sir Quacks-a-Lot)
Buffalo Wild Wings (Blazin'Bill)
Chicago Bandits (Swiper)
Chicago Red Stars (Supernova)
Culver's St. Charles On East Main St. (Scoopie)
Goldfish Swim School (Bubbles)
Joliet Slammers (Spikes)
Kane County Cougars (Ozzie)
Loyola University (Lu Wolf)
Schaumburg Boomers (Coop)
The Learning Experience (Bubbles)
Windy City Thunderbolts (Boomer)
For more information, call 855-51-STEEL or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 5, 2018
- Black Hawks on WJC Preliminary Roster - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Two Former Lancers Named to Preliminary Team USA World Junior Championship Roster - Omaha Lancers
- Former Stampede Defenseman Jack St. Ivany Named to U.S. World Junior Roster - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Three Former Stars Named to Preliminary Team USA World Junior Championship Roster - Lincoln Stars
- Current & Former USHL Talent Looks to Lead Team USA at 2019 WJC - USHL
- Flying Aces Alumni Selected to Team USA World Junior Roster - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Goals for Military - Green Bay Gamblers
- Rusty's Birthday Party this Saturday Night - Chicago Steel
- Steel Win Eighth Straight, Down RoughRiders 3-2 - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Rally to Earn Point against Des Moines - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.