Rowdies to Feature #GoldTogether Initiative at September Matches for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Every day 43 children are told they have cancer in the United States. The Tampa Bay Rowdies encourage the community to take notice and become #GOLDTOGETHER to help fight the #1 disease killer of children in the United States.
The Rowdies are working together with medulloblastoma brain cancer survivor and honorary Rowdie Cole Eicher to support families, raise research funds and bring awareness to childhood cancer. During National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month, childhood cancer will take the spotlight at Al Lang Stadium as the Tampa Bay Rowdies feature the #GOLDTOGETHER initiative.
Rowdies players will sport custom #GOLDTOGETHER socks at both September matches that were co-designed by Rowdies forward Georgi Hristov, Rowdies defender Hunter Gorskie and 7-year-old pediatric cancer fighter Amelia "Mila" Peace. Thirteen-year-old Leukemia survivor and official Rowdies anthem singer Marissa Peddie will sing the anthem at both matches.
September 15th Rowdies match: The night will kick-off with the U.S. Special Operations Command Parachute Demonstration Team delivering a #GOLDTOGETHER flag to the pitch. The Rowdies will donate $15,000 for a sellout to the Benjamin Gilkey Fund for Innovative Pediatric Cancer Research at Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital. Additionally, the club will donate $1,000 for every Rowdies goal plus $1,000 for a shut-out.
September 22nd Rowdies match: The Rowdies will donate $15,000 for a sellout to The Children's Dream Fund and BayStar Family Retreat, a retreat for pediatric cancer patients in the Tampa Bay area. Additionally, the club will donate $1,000 for every Rowdies goal plus $1,000 for a shut-out.
Businesses, restaurants, schools and organizations across the Tampa Bay area are hosting fundraising campaigns and their donations will be presented at half time during the September 15 and 22 matches. If interested in participating please contact Laura Eicher.
"Everyone can do something to support kids fighting cancer," said Cole Eicher.
Tickets to the #GOLDTOGETHER Rowdies matches can be purchased by contacting the Rowdies at 727-222-2000 or by visiting rowdiessoccer.com.
Images from this story
Amelia Peace and the Tampa Bay Rowdies
Amelia Peace with her sock design
Cole Eicher and Jochen Graf of the Tampa Bay Rowdies
Marissa Peddie singing at a Tampa Bay Rowdies game
Amelia Peace shows her sock design
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 20, 2018
- Indy Eleven Hosts Toronto FC II For The First TIme - Indy Eleven
- Game Preview: FC Cincinnati at Atlanta United 2 - FC Cincinnati
- San Antonio FC to Host 'Our Future' Night Presented by Cheerios - San Antonio FC
- LouCity Inks Midfielder Jose Carranza - Louisville City FC
- STLFC Signs Schulte and Redmon from Academy - Saint Louis FC
- North Carolina FC Looks to Renew Form against New York Red Bulls II - North Carolina FC
- Louisville City FC Weekly Update - Louisville City FC
- Midfielder Dylan Mares Rejoins Indy Eleven - Indy Eleven
- Kickers, Hometown Realty Announce Capital Campaign - Richmond Kickers
- Nashville SC to Begin Ticket Give Back Program - Nashville SC
- Rowdies to Feature #GoldTogether Initiative at September Matches for Childhood Cancer Awareness Month - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Charleston Battery to Host Hometown Heroes Night September 8 - Charleston Battery
- S2 Drops 4-1 Decision at Portland Timbers 2 - Tacoma Defiance
- T2 Earn 4-1 Victory over Sounders FC 2 at Merlo Field - Portland Timbers 2
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.