Rowdies Acquire Jordan Doherty on Loan from Sheffield United FC
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - The Tampa Bay Rowdies have acquired midfielder Jordan Doherty on loan from Sheffield United FC for the upcoming season, the club announced Tuesday.
He is the second young player to join the Rowdies on a season-long loan from an EFL Championship team this week, joining Norwich City FC's Caleb Richards.
Doherty, 18, has been playing with the Sheffield United U18s this season. He will become the first player born in the year 2000 to play for the Rowdies. Doherty is a defensive-minded player that is expected to play as a holding midfielder, though he will also be an option at center back.
"When we looked for someone with a skillset of great passing ability and passing range, Jordan ticked all the boxes," Rowdies Head Coach Neill Collins. "Obviously, using my connections with Sheffield United, Jordan came to our attention and we heard very good things about him as a person and his attitude. When you're bringing an 18-year old over to the United States, that's something you have to consider and Jordan is a good fit. He's keen to come and grow and this is a great opportunity for him as he carves out a career in the game."
Born in Ireland, Doherty represents his country at the U19 level, having debuted for the team just four days after his 17th birthday. He has five caps and one goal for the Irish U19s.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 5, 2019
- Nashville SC Kicks off Preseason against Montreal Impact at IMG - Nashville SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC Announces Finalized 2019 Regular-Season Schedule - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Rowdies Sign Defender Mohamed Kone - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Austin Bold FC Adds Defender Josue Soto and Goalkeeper Juan David Ramirez - Austin Bold FC
- Memphis 901 FC Adds Dynamic Adam Najem - Memphis 901 FC
- Rowdies Acquire Jordan Doherty on Loan from Sheffield United FC - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tampa Bay Rowdies Stories
- Rowdies to Open Playoffs in Louisville
- Match Preview: #HFDvTBR
- Championship Look Ahead
- Rowdies Can Earn Home Quarterfinal with Win Saturday
- Playoff Update: October 16