Roughriders Sign Armstrong, Moreland
The Saskatchewan Roughriders have announced the following roster moves:
American offensive lineman Ka'John Armstrong
American running back/returner Shamar Moreland
National fullback Alexandre Dupuis
Armstrong (6'5 - 300) spent the 2021 season on the Roughrider practice roster after initially signing with the Club in August of 2021. In 2019, he was signed by the Cleveland Browns as an undrafted free agent. He also spent time with the Jaguars, the Broncos and the Falcons, suiting up for three preseason games.
Collegiately, the Detroit native played 43 games over four seasons at Eastern Michigan (2014-2018) taking snaps at both left tackle and guard. As a sophomore he was part of an offensive line that allowed the second fewest tackles for loss in the FBS. That year the team also set a school record with 5,917 yards on offence.
Moreland (6'0-190) comes to the Roughriders after four strong collegiate seasons (2018-21) at Ottawa University in Arizona. A standout at both running back and kick returner, as a senior he was named the Sooner Athletic Conference Special Teams Player of the Year and First Team All-Sooner at running back, kick returner and punt returner. He led the NAIA (National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics) with an average of 212.6 all-purpose yards per game, was ranked third in the nation with a 30.9 yards per kick return average and his four return touchdowns - two on kickoff and two on punt returns - were the most of any player in the country.
The Arizona native played 28 career games with the Spirit, earning 2,256 yards rushing and 32 touchdowns and 641 receiving yards and five receiving touchdowns on offence, while adding a career 1,856 yards and four touchdowns on kick returns and 811 yards and five touchdowns on punt returns.
Moreland left OUAZ having amassed 5,603 all-purpose yards for an average of 200 all-purpose yards per game.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Football League message board...
Canadian Football League Stories from January 13, 2022
- Argos Add American DB Cam Glenn and American QB Austin Simmons - Toronto Argonauts
- RedBlacks Announce Transactions - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Lions Add American WRs ArDarius Stewart and Josh Pearson - B.C. Lions
- Roughriders Sign Armstrong, Moreland - Saskatchewan Roughriders
- Green and Gold Add to Coaching Staff - Edmonton Elks
- RedBlacks Unveil 2022 Coaching Staff - Ottawa RedBlacks
- Ottawa Native Jesse Luketa Tops Winter Scouting Bureau - CFL
- Blue Bombers Extend Contract of Special Teams Ace Mike Miller - Winnipeg Blue Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Saskatchewan Roughriders Stories
- Riders Announce 2022 Football Operations and Coaching Staff
- Roughriders Add Wide Receiver, Defensive Back
- Riders Extend Canadian Defensive Back Mike Edem
- Roughriders Sign American Defensive Back Amari Henderson
- Canadian Wide Receiver Jake Harty Stays in Riderville