Rockets Top Giants 4-1
The Kelowna Rockets defeated the Vancouver Giants 4-1 on Wednesday night at Prospera Place.
Rockets current points leader Kole Lind danced around a Giants defender and snapped a shot past Vancouver netminder David Tendeck to open the scoring for Kelowna at 3:10 of the first frame. Kelowna led 1-0 after 20 minutes of play.
6:09 into the middle stanza Conner Bruggen-Cate(15) finished off a shorthanded 2-on-0 with Leif Mattson to make it 2-0 Rockets. With just 47 seconds remaining in the frame Davis Koch(20) beat Rockets goaltender Brodan Salmond to cut Kelowna's lead in half. The Rockets led 2-1 after 40 minutes.
Midway through the third Carsen Twarynski extended the Rockets lead to two with his team-leading 34th. Dillon Dube(23) sealed it for Kelowna with 2:13 remaining after tucking in an empty-netter. 4-1 Rockets final as the Rockets extend their home winning-streak against the Giants to 26 games.
Brodan Salmond's record improves to 7-6-0-1 after stopping 25 of 26 shots he faced. He was named as the third star of the game for his efforts.
Kelowna's record improves to 33-16-3-1.
The Rockets will now prepare to face another divisional opponent in the Victoria Royals in back-to-back-to-back meetings. First Kelowna will head to Victoria for games against the Royals on Friday and Saturday night before they close out the Family Day weekend with an afternoon game against the Royals at Prospera Place in Kelowna on Monday, February 12th. Puck drop on both Friday and Saturday is at 7:05pm. Puck drop on Monday is at 2:05pm.
Tickets are available for Rockets home games through selectyourtickets.com, at the Prospera Place box office or by phone at 250-762-5050.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Images from this story
Kelowna Rockets Prepare for Action
Western Hockey League Stories from February 8, 2018
- Silvertips Asking Fans to Wear White for White out Game, Friday vs. Spokane - Everett Silvertips
- Rockets Head to Victoria for a B.C. Division Showdown - Kelowna Rockets
- Hitmen Foundation $50,000 Community Restoration Program Shortlists Three Projects - Calgary Hitmen
- 13th Annual Breast Cancer Awareness Night, February 24 - Tri-City Americans
- Giants Drop a 4-1 Score in Kelowna - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Outdueled by Winterhawks - Victoria Royals
- Rockets Top Giants 4-1 - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.