Robinson Slams Door on the Cubs
Memphis, TN - The Iowa Cubs (47-63) led through 8.2 innings before Shane Robinson's walk-off grand slam lifted the Memphis Redbirds (55-54) to an 8-7 win at Auto Zone Park tonight. Robinson's blast was his second of the game and of the season. The Redbirds lead this series 3-0 and the Cubs are now 3-8 with one game left on this road trip.
The Cubs struck early and often against Redbirds' starter Blaine Boyer. Brad Snyder had an RBI single in the first and Brett Jackson drove in a run in the second. After a Matt Carpenter home run got the Redbirds on the board in the bottom of the second, the Cubs came back with three runs in the third thanks to four straight hits with two outs. Ryan Flaherty drove in a run with a single. Chris Robinson and Jonathan Mota closed the rally with back-to-back doubles.
After a leadoff walk to Jackson in the fourth inning, the Redbirds brought in Pete Parise from the bullpen. Jackson would steal second and score on a base hit by Bryan LaHair that extended the Cubs' lead to 6-1. The Cubs added one more run o the lead in the fifth inning when Mota swatted his fifth home run of the season.
Cubs' starter Casey Coleman gave up a second homer to Shane Robinson in the sixth before completing the inning. Justin Berg pitched a scoreless seventh before the Redbirds began their comeback in the eighth.
With Carlton Smith on the mound, the Redbirds had runners on a first and third with one out. Tyler Greene singled to drive in one run and Andrew Brown followed with a sacrifice fly that cut the Cubs' lead to 7-4. Scott Maine came in for Smith and got Carpenter to ground out to end the eighth.
Maine (2-4) came back out for the ninth. Freddie Bynum started the inning with a single by before Maine walked Nick Derba on four pitches. Maine battled back to strike out Pete Kozma and pinch-hitter Nick Stavinoha popped out on the infield. Maine walked Chambers to load the bases before Robinson ran into his second homer of the season. Maine (2-4) was charged with this third blown save and the loss. Maine has allowed three home runs this season - all three have been grand slams.
The Cubs and Redbirds continue this series tomorrow night at 7:05 p.m. RH Dave Bush (0-2, 10.97) will start for the Cubs against RH Brandon Dickson (4-9, 4.40) for the Redbirds. The game will be broadcast live on AM 940 with the Safeco On-Deck Circle Pre-Game Show starting at 6:45.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 1, 2011
- Robinson Slams Door on the Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Slammed by Zephyrs, 4-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- 'Sugar' Shane Robinson Brings Sweet Ending to Redbirds Game - Memphis Redbirds
- Express Win Soundly at Nashville 9-4 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Lose to Express, 9-4 - Nashville Sounds
- Suppan and Chasers Shut Down OKC - Omaha Storm Chasers
- RedHawks Blanked by Omaha, 2-0 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Car Giveaway, Cap Giveaway and More at Kino Stadium this Homestand - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - August 1, 2011 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- RedHawks Make Series of Moves - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Eveland Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Nashville Sounds - Round Rock Express
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Gonzalez Comes up Big Twice in 5-4 Victory - Fresno Grizzlies
- Fresno Walks-Off with 5-4 Win Over Reno - Reno Aces
- Tucson Falls in 10 - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.