Road Victory Comes at Cost; Goalkeeper Injured.
The Six-Time Champion Milwaukee Wave defeated the Mississauga MetroStars Saturday afternoon at Paramount Fine Foods Centre in Ontario, Canada.
Final score, Milwaukee Wave 8, Mississauga MetroStars 2.
"I'm very happy with our performance today," said Milwaukee Wave Head Coach Giuliano Oliviero. "Mississauga has a lot of potential and to hold a team like that to only two goals is a great sign going into Utica on Sunday."
The Wave started the scoring almost immediately with a pair goals in the first quarter from #10 Ricardinho. #9 Robert Renaud and #3 Chad Vandergirffe added goals in the seconds quarter, while #6 Guillherme Viega, #75 Marico Leite, #26 Ian Bennett and #9 Luan Oliveria round out the scoring in the second half.
Late in the third quarter, Milwaukee Wave Goalkeeper Josh Lemos was assisted off the field by medical staff after suffering an unknown injury and forward / midfielder #28 Angel "Chino" Curiel stepped in goal for the rest of the game and held the fort down, not giving up any goals.
"Chino has been one of our better players so far this season and to watch what he did when he went in goal was fantastic." said Oliviero. "He came up really big for the team. As for Josh, doctors will evaluate him in the morning and we will go from there."
The Milwaukee Wave now hop on a bus for 5 hour road trip back to the states to take on the trash talking and beer banning Utica City FC Sunday afternoon at The Adirondack Bank Center at the Utica Memorial Auditorium in Utica, New York.
Kick off is scheduled for 1:05pm CST (Milwaukee time).
You can watch that game LIVE! and for FREE! via MASLtv at MASLSoccer.com.
After these back to back road games the Wave travels back to Milwaukee on Monday to prepare for back to back home games next Friday and Saturday at UW-Milwaukee Panther Arena against the rival Kansas City Comets and division foes, the St. Louis Ambush.
Get ticket and more information at MilwaukeeWave.com.
Images from this story
Angel Curiel of the Milwaukee Wave (right) against the Mississauga MetroStars
• Discuss this story on the Major Arena Soccer League message board...
Major Arena Soccer League Stories from January 5, 2019
- Ambush Hold on for the Win - St. Louis Ambush
- Road Victory Comes at Cost; Goalkeeper Injured. - Milwaukee Wave
- San Diego Sockers Match Notes: vs. Ontario Fury, January 5, 7:05pm - San Diego Sockers
- MetroStars Lose to Wave - Mississauga MetroStars
- Sockers Roll the Express 8-1 in Turlock; Return Home to Meet Ontario Saturday - San Diego Sockers
- Stars Fall to El Paso 9-7 - Tacoma Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Milwaukee Wave Stories
- Pereyra Pummels Orlando SeaWolves with Seven Point Game; Wave Win 12-6
- Wave Defeat Seawovles in Game One of Douleheader
- Back to Back Home Games for Milwaukee Wave this Weekend
- California Not Kind to Wave over the Weekend; Lose Second Straight Game Sunday Night
- Wave Socked by San Diego Saturday Night in Overtime Shootout