RiverKings Even Series With Home Win Over Missouri
SOUTHAVEN, MS --- The Mississippi RiverKings edged the Missouri Mavericks 2-1 to even the best-of-three Central Hockey League (CHL) first round series at one game each. RiverKings' forward Bobby Chaumont netted what turned out to be the game-winning goal in the second period of action that gave the RiverKings their first victory of this playoff season. Mississippi took its first lead of the series on a power play goal in the first period, scored by defenseman Kevin Truelson, whose drive from the blue line found the back of the net at 6:57. The goal came after a roughing penalty on Missouri's Jeff Christian put the RiverKings on the power play. Derek Landmesser and amateur addition Braden Desmet assisted on the goal from Truelson. In the second period, Chaumont gave Mississippi a 2-0 lead on his first playoff goal at 6:47 of the second period, assisted by Elias Godoy. However, Missouri came back to cut the margin back to one goal on a tally from Jeff MacDermid just seconds later at 7:23.
The RiverKings went on from there to hold the 2-1 lead going into the third period of play and there was no scoring in the final period of play. Truelson's power play goal was the only extra man goal in the contest, as the RiverKings were 1-for-4 for the night. Missouri misfired on their only power play chance of the evening. Mississippi outshot the Mavericks by a 32-23 margin, including 13 shots in the first period, while holding Missouri to only four in the first twenty minutes.
RiverKings goaltender Kyle McNulty stopped 22 shots in posting his first playoff victory of the season. Missouri's Charlie Effiinger stopped 30 shots in taking the loss. With the win, game three in the series is now set for tomorrow night at the DeSoto Civic Center, starting at 7:05 PM. The winner will play regular season conference champion Rapid City in the Northern Conference semi-finals, starting this weekend.
Tickets are available through the DCC box office and through Ticketmaster. For more information, call the RiverKings at 662-342-1755.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2010
- Texas Advances To Semifinals, Beat 'Rays 2-0 - Fort Worth Brahmas
- IceRays Season Ends With 2-0 Loss At Texas - Corpus Christi IceRays
- Brahmas and Jackalopes Face-Off in South Semifinals - CHL
- RiverKings Even Series With Home Win Over Missouri - Mississippi RiverKings
- Mavs Lose Tight One In Game 2, 2-1 To Mississippi - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jacks to Face Brahmas in Conference Semifinals - Odessa Jackalopes
- Two top goal scorers featured on this week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Eagles Add Amateur O'Malley To Roster - Colorado Eagles
- Venom Players On KGNC Tomorrow Morning - Amarillo Gorillas
- Nino Musitelli Named Oakley CHL Player Of The Week - Allen Americans
- RiverKings Look To Stop Mavericks At Home Tonight - Mississippi RiverKings
- Bucks, Americans Series Preview - Laredo Bucks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.