River Cats Treat Sellout Crowd to 4-3 Walk-Off Win
West Sacramento, Calif. - River Cats outfielder Grant Green drove in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth as the River Cats defeated the Cubs 4-3 before a sellout crowd at Raley Field on Saturday night.
The River Cats struck first with three runs in the bottom of the first inning. Jermaine Mitchell led off the inning with a walk and was promptly driven in by Green in the next at-bat. A bases-loaded, two-out single to left-center field from Derek Norris scored two more.
The Cubs responded two innings later, scoring twice in the top of the third on a two-run single from Alfredo Amezaga. They then put the tying run on the board in the fifth when Amezaga hit a home run over the right-field wall. The score remained tied at three until the bottom of the ninth inning.
Norris and Stephen Parker led off the ninth with back-to-back walks. Adam Rosales struck out before Mitchell drew a walk of his own, loading the bases. Green laced a single up the middle, scoring Norris and giving the River Cats their third walk-off win of the homestand.
River Cats starter Graham Godfrey allowed three runs in six innings with two strikeouts for the no-decision. Reliever Evan Scribner picked up his first win of the year with 1.2 shutout innings pitched.
Iowa starting pitcher Frankie De La Cruz gave up three earned runs in four innings. Reliever Esmailin Caridad suffered the loss, giving up the winning run and three walks in 0.1 innings pitched. Amezaga finished 2-for-4 with a run, three RBIs and his first home run of the season.
Green finished 3-for-5 with two RBIs, finishing as the only River Cat with more than one hit.
Game two of the series is set for Sunday's Mother's Day Celebration at Raley Field. A.J. Griffin (0-0, No ERA) will make his first start of the season for the River Cats, facing Cubs lefty Chris Rusin (3-2, 3.40).
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 13, 2012
- Cubs Hang on to Beat River Cats - Iowa Cubs
- Cats Fall to I-Cubs, 4-3 - Sacramento River Cats
- Grizzlies Bounce Back to Beat Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Jimenez, Rainiers Roll Past Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Round Rock Express Beat up by Tacoma 9-1 - Round Rock Express
- RedHawks Tip Tucson 5 Sunday - Tucson Padres
- Corporan Delivers 6-5 Win Over Padres - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Win One for Mom: Zephyrs Roll Past 51s, 7-3 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Sky Sox Blank 'Birds - Memphis Redbirds
- RedHawks Game Notes: May 13, 2012 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sunday's Game Postponed; Doubleheader Monday - Reno Aces
- Infielder Amaya Joins I-Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Sounds to Host Fantasy Baseball Camp for Hearing Impaired Children - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds, Aces Postponed on Sunday Afternoon - Nashville Sounds
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Tacoma Rainiers (Seattle - Round Rock Express
- Cubs' Walks Key River Cats Walk-Off Win - Iowa Cubs
- Limonta Lifts Rainiers Over Round Rock - Tacoma Rainiers
- Teaford, Chasers Crush Fresno - Omaha Storm Chasers
- River Cats Treat Sellout Crowd to 4-3 Walk-Off Win - Sacramento River Cats
- Round Rock Express Shut Down 6-1 at Tacoma - Round Rock Express
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.