River Cats Take on Aviators in Opening Round of PCL Playoffs
WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. - The Sacramento River Cats wrapped up their 2019 regular season with a series victory over the El Paso Chihuahuas on Monday, finishing with a 73-67 record and capturing their first title in the Pacific Coast League's Pacific Northern division since 2012. Sacramento will take on the Las Vegas Aviator's (Oakland Athletics) in a best-of-five, opening round series beginning Wednesday, September 4 at Raley Field in West Sacramento.
The PCL's opening round playoff series is a matchup of Bay Area rival organizations - the River Cats have been affiliated with the San Francisco Giants since the 2015 season, while the Aviators are in their first season of affiliation with the Oakland Athletics. The River Cats spent their first 15 years as the top minor league club of the Athletics before a transition following the 2014 season. Before this season, the San Francisco Giants' Triple-A club had not won a division title in the PCL since 1998 (Fresno Grizzlies), while the Oakland Athletics' last Triple-A division crown came in 2016 (Nashville Sounds). The River Cats last visited Las Vegas from June 20-23, and won three out of four games against the Aviators.
Fans will have the opportunity to take in some playoff baseball at Raley Field when the playoffs get under way with games one and two on Wednesday, September 4 and Thursday, September 5 in West Sacramento. Both games have a scheduled first pitch of 6:35 p.m., and will feature a bonus round of fan-favorite promotions Wet Nose Wednesday and Thirsty Thursday presented by Lagunitas. The series will shift to Las Vegas for game three on Friday, September 6. Games four and five this weekend (if necessary) will also be hosted by the Aviators.
Tickets are still available for all four potential home playoff games and can be purchased online at rivercats.com, over the phone by calling (916) 371-HITS (4487), emailing email@example.com, or by visiting the Tri Counties Bank Ticket Office at Raley Field.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from September 3, 2019
- River Cats Take on Aviators in Opening Round of PCL Playoffs - Sacramento River Cats
- San Antonio's Freitas Wins Batting Title - PCL
- Missions Catcher David Freitas Wins Pacific Coast League Batting Title - San Antonio Missions
- Fresno's Wilmer Difo Named PCL Player of the Week - Fresno Grizzlies
- Difo, Emanuel Named PCL Players of the Week for August 26 -September 2 - PCL
- Express LHP Kent Emanuel Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Round Rock Express
- Ryan Sanders Sports & Entertainment Names Jonathan Germer First Chief Financial Officer - Round Rock Express
- PCL Conference Championship Series: Sacramento vs. Las Vegas - Las Vegas Aviators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento River Cats Stories
- Sacramento River Cats 2019 End of Season Notes
- River Cats finish 2019 season as Triple-A National Champions
- River Cats sweep Express to capture PCL Championship
- Adames lifts River Cats over Express in game two
- Avelino provides walk-off as River Cats take Game 1