River Bandits Rout Rattlers For Twinbill Sweep
DAVENPORT, IA - The Quad Cities River Bandits scored early and often on their way to a 17- victory over the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in the second game of a doubleheader on Monday at Modern Woodmen Park. Charles Cutler led the way with a grand slam.
Wisconsin (7-9) grabbed the early lead with a two-out RBI single by Brock Kjeldgaard in the top of the first.
But, the River Bandits (9-7) jumped on Rattler starting pitcher Cody Scarpetta right away in the bottom of the first inning. Brett Lilley was hit by the first pitch from the Rattler starter. Niko Vasquez doubled and Chris Swauger walked to load the bases. Then, Scarpetta walked Jon Edwards to force in a run and allow the Bandits to tie the game.
Cutler was next and he singled in a run. Scarpetta got the next batter with a strikeout, but Ryde Rodriguez singled to make the score 3-1. An error by Kjeldgaard on a grounder off the bat of Alex Castellanos allowed two more runs to score. Before he left the game, Scarpetta would balk in one more run.
Wisconsin got a run back in the top of the second inning. Michael Vass doubled and took third on an error. A sacrifice fly by Edgar Trejo drove home Vass to make the score 6-2.
Quad Cities added two runs in the second inning against Rattler reliever Garrett Sherrill on a two run single by Brian Buck.
The Rattlers got a pair of runs in the third to make the score 8-4. Michael Marseco scored from second when third baseman Domnit Bolivar threw the ball away on a play to first. Brett Lawrie was next and he smacked a run scoring single to right.
But, the Bandits scored another three runs in the bottom of the third. Jon Edwards hit a solo homer and Brian Buck was up later in the inning knocked in a pair of runs with a bases loaded single to make the score 11-4.
Then, it was Wisconsin's turn to bat. A two-out walk to Shawn McCraw was followed by a single by Marseco. A throwing error on a Dykstra ground ball to short allowed McCraw to score. Later in the inning, Lawrie singled home two more runs and the Rattlers were within 11-7.
Then, the River Bandits went back to the plate to put the game out of reach. The first three batters of the bottom of the fourth inning reached on an error, a single, and a walk to load the bases for Cutler. The Quad Cities catcher lifted a deep fly ball to right that easily cleared the fence for a grand slam and a 15-7 lead.
Bolivar followed with a homer to left-center to make it 16-7.
A three-base error on a dropped fly ball and an RBI grounder by Swauger pushed the score to 17-7.
The final game of the series is Tuesday night. Evan Frederickson (1-0, 8.49) is the scheduled starter for the Timber Rattlers. Miguel Tapia (0-1, 5.40) is set to start for the River Bandits. Game time is 7:00pm
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from April 27, 2009
- 'Caps top Lugnuts, 5 wins in a row - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Whitecaps Wash Out Lugnuts, 5-1 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Darnell, TinCaps Out-Slug Loons - Great Lakes Loons
- Bandits Run Away With Doubleheader Sweep - Quad Cities River Bandits
- River Bandits Rout Rattlers For Twinbill Sweep - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Tomorrow's Pitchers and Wednesday game time change - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Rained Out Monday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- Bandits-Chief Double Header Schedules for May 12 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels and Chiefs postponed - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Postponed on Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Monday's Game Postponed Due to Rain - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Cougars Pounce Beloit - Kane County Cougars
- Lugnuts' Chavez Named MWL Batter of the Week - Lansing Lugnuts
- Dragons Matt Fairel Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Dayton Dragons
- River Bandits Take Game One - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Alliant Energy Field included in New Book - Clinton LumberKings
- Budweiser Clydesdales to Make Appearance at Community Field - Burlington Bees
- Chiefs Place Andersen on DL; Add Mercedes Back To Roster - Peoria Chiefs
- Jerry Sands Added to Loons' Roster - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons GameDay - Dayton Dragons
- Error proves costly in Kernels 8-7 loss at Peoria - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Stories
- Peoria's Power Puts them Past Rattlers
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: April 23-29
- Rattlers Fall Behind Early and Can't Rally
- Cougars Freeze Rattlers 13-2
- Donald Driver Charity Softball Game Presented by Network Health Back by Popular Demand