RGV Vipers Get Rid of the Blues
Hidalgo, Texas - The Rio Grande Valley Vipers (27-16), NBA D-League affiliate of the Houston Rockets, were able to defeat Oklahoma City Blue (30-15) for the first time this season by a score of 125-110.
RGV's Isaiah Taylor led both teams in scoring with 26 points. Gary Payton II had a double-double with 15 rebounds and 18 points. Dakari Johnson led Oklahoma City Blue with 23 points. The Rio Grande Valley Vipers shot at a 56.3 percent from the field.
Isaiah Taylor, on assignment from the Houston Rockets, started the game with the hot hand. Taylor shot four from six for a total of 11 points. After six lead changes, the Vipers were able to finish the opening quarter on top of the Blue by a five-point margin, 29-24.
Although Oklahoma City Blue weren't able to regain the lead, they were able to finish the first half behind by one point. Dez Wells scored 13 points in the second quarter coming out of the bench. Nine of those points came from beyond the three-point line.
Heralded by Darius Morris and Isaiah Taylor, the Vipers started to find separation from their opponent. Taylor scored 13 points in the third while Morris added another 10 to extend the Vipers' lead to double-digits.
After Xavier Henry's score, Oklahoma City Blue were able to cut down the Vipers' lead to just two points with 8:08 left in the game. Troy Williams was able to regain the Viper's double-digit lead after hitting three consecutive three-pointers. Williams' 17 points in the final quarter helped the Vipers seal the 125-110 win over the Blue.
The Rio Grande Valley Vipers will have a quick turn around as they face Northern Arizona Suns on Friday and Sunday.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 16, 2017
- RGV Vipers Get Rid of the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Streak Snapped in Greensboro - Canton Charge
- Westchester Knicks Snap Streak with Win over Long Island Nets - Westchester Knicks
- Austin Spurs Announce Roster Changes - Austin Spurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- RGV Vipers Advance to Western Conference Semifinals
- RGV Vipers Will Host Texas Legends on Friday, March 30 in NBA G League Playoffs
- RGV Vipers Host Texas Legends in Western Conference Quarterfinals
- Vipers Drop Last Regular Season Game Before Playoffs
- Vipers Outshoot the Stars