Reyna scores stunner but 'Caps left frustrated in defeat to NYCFC
VANCOUVER, BC - Despite a stunning volley from Yordy Reyna, Vancouver Whitecaps FC could not get past a stubborn New York City FC, as they lost 3-1 at BC Place on Saturday evening.
DOWNLOAD: Post-match soundbytes Back home from a long road trip and playing their third game in a week, Vancouver head coach Marc Dos Santos made two changes to the side that faced Montreal Impact on Wednesday night, recalling Fredy Montero and Andy Rose.
In a stoppage-heavy first 45 minutes, the 'Caps twice fell victim to misfortune, first losing right-back Jake Nerwinski to an ankle injury and then having a penalty overturned by VAR.
New York City FC would find the scoresheet first though. Leading goalscorer Héber clinically netted his 14th goal of the season early on, before Gary Mackay-Steven added a second following a neat New York passing play.
Then came the VAR decision, to the frustration of Whitecaps FC. Tosaint Ricketts appeared to be fouled in the penalty box, with the referee awarding a spot kick. The penalty could have got Vancouver back in the game but the video review system overturned the decision, much to the displeasure of the BC Place crowd.
The incident, however, galvanised the 'Caps as they had the better of the game after the break. Attacking in waves, an acrobatic attempt from Montero and a fierce left-foot drive from Inbeom Hwang nearly found the net - but the 'Caps couldn't find a way past a determined New York City FC defence.
Reyna finally got the 'Caps back into the match, volleying in one of the goals of the season midway through the second half. The Peruvian's seventh goal of the campaign was one to remember. Controlling it on the right after receiving a searching ball from Ricketts, Man of the Match Reyna let it drop before unveiling a wicked curling strike that found the far top corner.
That made it 2-1 and gave Whitecaps FC belief, but hopes of snatching a late equalizer were then dashed as New York scored with a long-range free kick from Alexandru Mitrita to put the game out of reach.
Whitecaps FC now turn their focus to their next game at BC Place against Houston Dynamo on Saturday, September 14. Kickoff is at 7 p.m. PT live on TSN4 and 1410 AM. Visit whitecapsfc.com for ticket information.
CORNERS FOR HEARING: Whitecaps FC had five corners in tonight's match, which means Connect Hearing will donate $500 to Hear the World Foundation.
WFC Man of the Match: Yordy Reyna
Referee: Marcos DeOliveira
10' - NYC - Héber (Alexandru Mitrita, Tony Rocha)
26' - NYC - Gary Mackay-Steven
64' - VAN - Yordy Reyna (Tosaint Ricketts)
72' - NYC - Alexandru Mitrita
Possession: VAN 42.5% - NYC 57.5%
Shots: VAN 14 - NYC 12
Shots on Goal: VAN 6 - NYC 5
Saves: VAN 2 - NYC 5 Fouls: VAN 13 - NYC 12
Offsides: VAN 5 - NYC 1
Corners: VAN 5 - NYC 2
45'+4' - VAN - Inbeom Hwang
49' - VAN - Doneil Henry
79' - VAN - Michaell Chirinos
85' - NYC - Alexandru Mitrita
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
16.Maxime Crépeau; 28.Jake Nerwinski (23.Scott Sutter 16'), 2.Doneil Henry, 15.Andy Rose, 53.Ali Adnan; 4.Inbeom Hwang (50.Theo Bair 83'), 6.Jon Erice © (33. Michaell Chirinos HT), 31.Russell Teibert; 12.Fredy Montero, 29.Yordy Reyna; 87.Tosaint Ricketts
Substitutes not used
18.Zac MacMath, 46.Brett Levis, 19.Lass Bangoura, 13.Derek Cornelius
New York City FC
1.Sean Johnson; 3.Anton Tinnerholm, 4.Maxime Chanot ©, 6.Alexander Callens, 2.Ben Sweat; 10.Maximiliano Moralez (80.Justin Haak 90'+3'), 15.Tony Rocha, 55.Keaton Parks; 9.Héber (17.Gary Mackay-Steven 21'), 11.Valentín Castellanos (33.Sebastien Ibeagha 70'), 28.Alexandru Mitrita
Substitutes not used
41.Brad Stuver, 14.Juan Torres, 19.Jesús Medina, 5.Eric Miller
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 1, 2019
- Sounders FC Earns Crucial Home Win with 4-3 Thriller vs. LA Galaxy - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 3, Seattle Sounders FC 4 - Sunday, September 1, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Chicago Fire Midfielder Aleksandar Katai Named to Serbia National Team Roster - Chicago Fire
- Revolution and Toronto FC Play to 1-1 Draw - New England Revolution
- Timbers Earn 1-0 Win against Real Salt Lake at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
- New York City FC Clinch Playoff Berth Following Win over Vancouver Whitecaps FC - New York City FC
- Real Salt Lake Drops 1-0 Result at Portland Timbers FC - Real Salt Lake
- Reyna scores stunner but 'Caps left frustrated in defeat to NYCFC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Wondolowski scores twice; Quakes extend home unbeaten streak to 12 - San Jose Earthquakes
- D.C. United Defeat the Montreal Impact, 3-0 at Saputo Stadium - D.C. United
- Orlando City Shut out at San Jose - Orlando City SC
- Houston Dynamo Fall to Sporting Kansas City to Close Two-Game Road Trip - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- Whitecaps FC Announce First Roster Moves Ahead of 2021
- Whitecaps FC Confirm Top Collegiate Recruiting Class
- 'Caps finish season with dominant all-around performance
- Winners Announced at 2020 BMO Player Awards Ceremony
- It Starts with a Goal: the Stories Behind Seven Inspiring Young Canadians in the Whitecaps FC BMO Academy System