Revolution selects Wells Thompson and Ameachi Igwe in MLS SuperDraft First Round
Indianapolis, Ind. - The New England Revolution selected midfielder Wells Thompson out of Wake Forest University with the fifth overall selection and Generation adidas midfielder/defender Ameachi Igwe out of Santa Clara University with the 12th overall selection in the first round of the 2007 MLS SuperDraft, conducted today at the Indianapolis Convention Center.
The Revolution acquired the fifth overall selection in 2007 from the Los Angeles Galaxy - as well as a conditional second-round pick from the Galaxy in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft - in exchange for a partial allocation, which was announced before the start of the draft.
"We're very happy that in the first round we've picked up two players, who if called upon, could step right on the field for us," Revolution head coach Steve Nicol said.
Thompson, 23, led Wake Forest in goals with seven - including five game-winning strikes - in 2006 and scored 16 goals in his four-year career with the Demon Deacons. He also had 10 assists as he helped Wake Forest advance to the 2006 College Cup. He earned ACC All-Tournament honors as a senior and was also an ACC All-Freshman selection in 2003.
Thompson was teammates with current Revolution defenders Michael Parkhurst and James Riley for two years (2003-04) at Wake Forest.
"We were delighted to see Wells available when we had our first selection," Nicol said. "He plays out wide with tremendous pace, and he has good touch. He wants to go forward and just enjoys playing the game."
"I'm excited to join a team that just went to the MLS Cup final the last two years," Thompson said. "I'll come in and try to make an impact in my first season, and hopefully I'll be able to help the team win a Cup in 2007.
"Michael Parkhurst and James Riley are two of my favorite teammates ever. I'm looking forward to having them help me fit in and get accustomed to MLS," Thompson said.
Igwe, 19, is a current member of the U.S. Under-20 National Team and a member of the Generation adidas program having signed with MLS after one season at Santa Clara. In just one campaign with the Broncos, Igwe earned All-West Coast Conference honorable mention honors and All-Freshman Team honors, scoring five goals and adding three assists while starting 20 of the 23 games in which he played.
Igwe played with the Under-20 Team in both 2005 and 2006 after starting for the U.S. Under-17 squad at left back in 2005. He attended the IMG Soccer Academy in Florida, joining U.S. Soccer's Residency Program in September of 2004.
"Ameachi can play anywhere on the left side of the field, and he's young and strong," Nicol said. "He has great feet and good pace."
"I'm really excited to go play for the Revs," Igwe said. "Everyone around me has told me it's a great place to go play. I just hope to contribute what I have to offer to an already great team."
The Revolution also holds one second-round pick (25th overall), one third-round choice (38th overall) and one selection in the fourth roound (51st overall).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 12, 2007
- Galaxy select five players in MLS SuperDraft - LA Galaxy
- Chivas USA picks two, acquires Arvizu in trade at 2007 MLS SuperDraft in Indianapolis - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Crew acquires Herron from Chicago, selects three at MLS SuperDraft - Columbus Crew SC
- Fire adds six, trades Herron during busy 2007 MLS SuperDraft - Chicago Fire
- Toronto FC Selects Maurice Edu with No. 1 Selection in 2007 MLS SuperDraft - MLS
- Rapids Make Five Picks in 2007 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United drafts Bryan Arguez in first round of 2007 MLS SuperDraft - D.C. United
- Revolution Adds Six Players at 2007 MLS SuperDraft - New England Revolution
- Red Bulls Draft Richards, Ubiparipovic, Trades Arvizu - New York Red Bulls
- Revolution selects Wells Thompson and Ameachi Igwe in MLS SuperDraft First Round - New England Revolution
- Rapids Make Nico Colaluca Their First Pick in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Acquire Greg Vanney From FC Dallas in 2007 MLS SuperDraft Trade - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Fall to Toronto FC, 3-2
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Toronto FC
- New England Revolution Loan Zachary Herivaux and Brian Wright to Birmingham Legion FC
- Three New England Revolution Players Called in for National Team Duty
- Revolution Fall to Columbus Crew SC, 2-0, in Home Opener