Revolution, Dynamo square off with title at stake...again
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - For the third time in the past two-and-a-half seasons, the New England Revolution and Houston Dynamo will meet in a championship game, as the two MLS clubs with square off in the SuperLiga 2008 Final at 8 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 5, at Gillette Stadium. The game will be televised nationally in Spanish on Telefutura, while streaming video of the match will be available in both English and Spanish on mlsnet.com and superliga2008.com. ESPN Deportes Radio will carry the game nationally in Spanish, while local listeners can tune in to the WEEI Radio Network for English audio.
North American bragging rights will be on the line in the marquee match-up, as the tournament began with eight of the best teams from the United States and Mexico competing in a group phase and knockout rounds, though New England and Houston have advanced to ensure that an MLS team will take the crown. The Revs (2-0-1, 7 pts.) finished on top of Group B as the only undefeated team in the competition before defeating Mexican power Atlante, 1-0, on Wednesday, July 30, at Gillette Stadium in an emotional semifinal affair. The Dynamo (2-1-0, 6 pts.) finished atop Group A on goal difference before downing Mexico's Pachuca, 2-0, in the other semifinal on Tuesday, July 29, at Robertson Stadium.
The Revs and Dynamo have become familiar partners in championship matches, as the sides have met in the past two MLS Cup Finals, with Houston emerging victorious on both occasions. In 2006, the Dynamo won on penalties after the match finished level at 1-1 following regulation and extra time, while Houston came from behind to earn a 2-1 victory in the 2007 title match.
Though the Dynamo has had success over the Revs in the postseason, New England has gotten the better of Houston in the regular season, holding an undefeated 3-0-3 record in six matches. Two of the Revolution's wins over the Dynamo came earlier this season, as New England earned a 3-0 victory at Gillette Stadium on March 29 and a 2-0 triumph at
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 1, 2008
- FC Dallas Transfers Juan Toja to Steaua Bucuresti - FC Dallas
- Chivas USA acquires GK Zach Thornton from New York Red Bulls - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Red Bulls trade goalkeeper Zach Thornton to Chivas USA - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas signs midfielder Jamie Watson - FC Dallas
- Revolution, Dynamo square off with title at stake...again - New England Revolution
- New York Red Bulls to ring closing bell at NASDAQ Monday - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Sign Spanish Forward Mikel Arce - San Jose Earthquakes
- Western Union and RSL to Host CALLE Street Soccer Tournament on August 23 - Real Salt Lake
- Chivas USA Original Brad Guzan joins Aston Villa of English Premier League - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- Revolution Midfielder Carles Gil Voted a Finalist for 2019 MLS Newcomer of the Year Award
- UPDATE: Kickoff for Revolution's Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs Round One Match at Atlanta United Moved to 1:00 p.m. on October 19
- Revolution to Face Atlanta United FC in Round One of Audi 2019 MLS Cup Playoffs
- Revolution Fall to Atlanta United FC, 3-1, in Regular Season Finale
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at Atlanta United FC