Republic FC Kickstart Program Awards $10,500 in Grants to Local, Black-Owned Small Businesses
Sacramento, Calif. - After fans and members of the community cast over 5,000 ballots, narrowing the field from over 50 local, Black-owned small businesses, the five recipients of the Republic FC Kickstart Program have been announced. With the support of Suncrest Bank and the Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce, the program was launched in August to assist black-owned small businesses in the greater Sacramento Region facing economic challenges as a result of the pandemic and provide resources, educational services and an opportunity to receive a grant.
The five finalists as selected through public voting were reviewed by a panel of community leaders featuring Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Azizza Davis Goines and Savvy Consulting Founder Jovan Agee. After reviewing each organization, the grant winners are:
Grand Prize Grant: Sugar Coated Cupcakes, $5,000
Second Place Grant: Classy Hippie Tea Company, $2,500
Third Place Grants: Hundreds Unit, Playmakers Elite, Feed Sacramento Homeless, $1,000
"We are completely honored and thankful to have been a part of this amazing opportunity. To know there are companies that want to provide support and ensure your success is completely heartwarming," said Sugar Coated Cupcakes owners LaQueanya & Mechiala Henry. "Thank you Sacramento Republic FC and Suncrest Bank for providing support to small businesses during such a crazy volatile time! Receiving support to continue to thrive means more than you know and could not have come at a better time. We are so thankful to our community...Family, Friends & Sugar Coated Cuties for your continued support. We are Sugar Coated Cupcakes because of you!"
"The Indomitable Spirit that drives our region to new heights comes directly from our neighbors, friends, and the businesses that support our community every day," said Sacramento Republic FC President and COO Ben Gumpert. "With support from Suncrest Bank, leadership from the Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce, and the voice of our passionate fans, we've been able to bring awareness and capital to positively impact some of our city's great small businesses working through the challenges of this pandemic.
"Suncrest Bank has, and continues to be very supportive of small businesses as they are the backbone of our economy and our local communities, said Suncrest Bank Market President Tim Aldredge. "We have been honored to partner with the Sacramento Black Chamber of Commerce and Sacramento Republic FC to consider several impactful black-owned businesses and organizations in our community and to select some truly top-notch businesses as the winners of the Kickstart program. The Kickstart program has been exciting in that it has highlighted the great things that hard-working entrepreneurs are doing in our community despite the hardships of a pandemic. We wish the best to our winners and look forward to witnessing their success."
"I was impressed by all the submissions, they provided a sneak peak into all the great work happening in our City,"said Republic FC Kickstart Judge and Savvy Consulting Founder Jovan Agee. "I believe that the winners of these grants will use this revenue to grow their businesses and aid in the economic growth of our region."
The crowdsourced program received nominations for over 50 businesses throughout the region representing a diverse selection of industry - health & fitness, technology, restaurants and culinary creators, fashion, art, education and much more. To help provide more resources for local businesses, Suncrest Bank made additional, free educational services and consulting resources available to every business nominated. In one week, fans and community members cast over 5,000 votes to select the five finalists that would receive grants.
For more information about Republic FC Kickstart, visit SacRepublicFC.com/SuncrestBank.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 6, 2020
- Velasquez Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Republic FC Kickstart Program Awards $10,500 in Grants to Local, Black-Owned Small Businesses - Sacramento Republic FC
- Diaz, Formella Selected to Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Statement on Findings of USL Investigation - Phoenix Rising FC
- USL Championship Suspends Junior Flemmings for Use of Foul and Abusive Language - USL
- North Carolina Football Club Forms Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and Names Task Force Members - North Carolina FC
- Battery to Face Charlotte in First Round - Charleston Battery
- Duke Lacroix Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 15 - Charlotte Independence
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Memphis' Cal Jennings earns Player of the Week after hat trick in 901 FC season finale - USL
- Queensboro FC Reveals Its Crown - Queensboro FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC to Kickoff Second Consecutive Playoff Run at Southwest University Park - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Breaking Down the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Republic FC Sign Midfielder Tucker Bone
- Boards for Change, Republic FC Prepare Black History Month Auction to Benefit Community Organizations
- By the Numbers: Tomas Gomez
- Republic FC Bolsters Technical Staff with Addition of Matt Glaeser
- Around the Leagues: Derbies for Days