Rising Statement on Findings of USL Investigation
PHOENIX, Arizona - The USL Championship announced today, it has issued a six-game suspension and an undisclosed fine to Phoenix Rising FC midfielder Junior Flemmings for the use of foul and abusive language during the club's contest against San Diego Loyal SC on September 30.
"Phoenix Rising accepts and supports the results of this investigation," said Phoenix Rising FC General Manager Bobby Dulle. "These actions could not be more contrary to the core values of our organization, and we apologize to all who were affected."
In addition to serving the suspension imposed by USL, Flemmings will remain on administrative leave for the remainder of his existing contract term with Phoenix Rising which concludes November 30, 2020. The team will provide Flemmings with the resources he needs to learn and grow from this, so that he may become a model for change in our sport.
"We will use this as an opportunity to learn, grow and be a force for change, as we work towards eradicating bias from our sport and our community," said Dulle.
Flemmings' suspension began with this past Saturday's contest vs. LA Galaxy II and covers the entirety of the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs.
Phoenix Rising and San Diego Loyal together, released a statement on Saturday, October 3, announcing a joint effort to work toward the eradication of racist and homophobic speech in professional soccer.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 6, 2020
- Velasquez Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Republic FC Kickstart Program Awards $10,500 in Grants to Local, Black-Owned Small Businesses - Sacramento Republic FC
- Diaz, Formella Selected to Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Statement on Findings of USL Investigation - Phoenix Rising FC
- USL Championship Suspends Junior Flemmings for Use of Foul and Abusive Language - USL
- North Carolina Football Club Forms Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and Names Task Force Members - North Carolina FC
- Battery to Face Charlotte in First Round - Charleston Battery
- Duke Lacroix Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 15 - Charlotte Independence
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Memphis' Cal Jennings earns Player of the Week after hat trick in 901 FC season finale - USL
- Queensboro FC Reveals Its Crown - Queensboro FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC to Kickoff Second Consecutive Playoff Run at Southwest University Park - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Breaking Down the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.