USL Championship Suspends Junior Flemmings for Use of Foul and Abusive Language
October 6, 2020 - United Soccer League Championship (USL) News Release
TAMPA, Fla. - The USL Championship announced on Tuesday, following an investigation that included interviews with 11 individuals, including players, coaches and match officials, that it has issued a six-game suspension and undisclosed fine to Phoenix Rising FC's Junior Flemmings for the use of foul and abusive language in the form of a homophobic slur during the club's match against San Diego Loyal SC on September 30. Per the player's contract, Flemmings could also be subject to additional discipline from Phoenix Rising FC and remains on administrative leave.
Flemmings' suspension covers the entirety of the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs.
With the support of the USLPA and the USLBPA, the United Soccer League announced last Thursday a partnership with The Institute for Sport and Social Justice which will see The Institute provide league-wide sensitivity training and education for all staff and players ahead of the 2021 season.
In addition, both Phoenix Rising FC and San Diego Loyal SC released a joint statement this past Saturday announcing the clubs have committed to work together toward the development of educational programs intended to make our sport, our league, and our communities better, more compassionate places.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 6, 2020
- Velasquez Named to USL Championship Team of the Week - Miami FC
- Republic FC Kickstart Program Awards $10,500 in Grants to Local, Black-Owned Small Businesses - Sacramento Republic FC
- Diaz, Formella Selected to Team of the Week - Sacramento Republic FC
- Rising Statement on Findings of USL Investigation - Phoenix Rising FC
- USL Championship Suspends Junior Flemmings for Use of Foul and Abusive Language - USL
- North Carolina Football Club Forms Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Task Force and Names Task Force Members - North Carolina FC
- Battery to Face Charlotte in First Round - Charleston Battery
- Duke Lacroix Named to USL Championship Team of the Week for Week 15 - Charlotte Independence
- Kibato Selected to USL Championship Team of the Week - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Memphis' Cal Jennings earns Player of the Week after hat trick in 901 FC season finale - USL
- Queensboro FC Reveals Its Crown - Queensboro FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC to Kickoff Second Consecutive Playoff Run at Southwest University Park - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Breaking Down the 2020 USL Championship Playoffs - Charlotte Independence
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.