Republic FC Clinch Second Seed Ahead of the Playoffs
SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Sacramento Republic FC clinched second place in the USL's Western Conference with a 1-0 victory over visiting Las Vegas Lights FC in the regular season finale at Papa Murphy's Park.
Republic FC controlled the first half as they had a couple of solid chances to capitalize on. Villyan Bijev was a menace on both wings, while Luis Espino and Jure Matjasic kept the visiting defense under constant pressure. Lights FC keeper Thomas Olsen, who spent time with Sacramento on loan earlier this season, made a couple of stops to keep the match scoreless going into halftime.
Cameron Iwasa added to his record-setting mark in the 55th minute when he rocketed his 17th goal of the season past Olsen. Elliott Hord sent a cross into the box for Christian Eissele who snapped down a header into Iwasa's path. The Sacramento native beat Olsen to the ball and rifled a right-footed shot off the bottom of the crossbar and into the back of the net.
Josh Cohen and Republic FC's defense recorded yet another shutout in the 1-0 victory over Vegas. Cohen only had to make one save, but he was decisive on some late long balls in the air from Las Vegas and secured his 11th clean sheet of the season. Mitchell Taintor and Justin Schmidt patrolled the back line well and cleaned up any attack Vegas threw at them.
Republic FC take their eight-match unbeaten streak into the first round of playoffs at Papa Murphy's Park next Saturday, October 20th. Republic FC's first-round playoffs opponent has yet to be been determined. They will host the seventh seed, which will either be Saint Louis FC or Swope Park Rangers, depending on the result of today's match between Swope Park Rangers and LA Galaxy II.
Sacramento Republic FC 1:0 Las Vegas Lights FC
Papa Murphy's Park - Sacramento, CA
October 13, 2018
Attendance: 11,569 (sellout)
Scoring Summary: SAC - Cameron Iwasa (Christian Eissele) 55.
Misconduct Summary: SAC - Jure Matjasic (caution) 30, Mitchell Taintor (caution) 45, Shannon Gomez (caution) 65, Elliott Hord (caution) 69; LV - Christian Torres (caution) 45, Alex Mendoza (caution) 54, Sammy Ochoa (caution) 70, Rafael Garcia (caution) 87, Juan Herrera (caution) 90.
Sacramento Republic FC - Josh Cohen, Elliott Hord, Mitchell Taintor, Justin Schmidt, Shannon Gomez, Luis Espino (Quincy Butler 82), Hayden Partain, Jure Matjasic, Villyan Bijev, Cameron iwasa, Christian Eissele (Roberto Hategan 90).
Subs Not Used: Rafa Diaz, Josh Turnley, Wilson Kneeshaw, Carlos Rodriguez, Mario Penagos.
Stats: Shots: 12, Shots on Goal: 6, Saves: 1, Fouls: 12, Corner Kicks: 3, Offside: 0.
Las Vegas Lights FC -Thomas Olsen, Christian Torres, Miguel Garduño, Juan Herrera, Carter Manley, Alexander Mendoza, Rafael Garcia, Eric Avila (Daigo Kobayashi 76), Freddy Adu (Carlos Alvarez 56), Daniel Guzman (Omar Salgado 55), Sammy Ochoa.
Subs Not Used: Ricardo Ferriño, Joel Huiqui, Rodrigo Iñigo, Matthew Thomas.
Stats: Shots: 9, Shots on Goal: 1, Saves: 5, Fouls: 12, Corner Kicks: 5, Offside: 0.
Images from this story
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 14, 2018
- Nashville SC to Renew Rivalry with FC Cincinnati in First Round of USL Cup Playoffs - Nashville SC
- Get Ready: the 2018 USL Cup Playoffs Are Here - USL
- Hounds Complete Regular Season - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Bethlehem Steel FC to Face Rival Pittsburgh Riverhounds in Opening Round of USL Cup Playoffs - Philadelphia Union II
- Steel FC Knocks off Tampa Bay to Secure USL Cup Playoff Spot - Philadelphia Union II
- Bethlehem Steel FC Secures Second-Consecutive Trip to USL Cup Playoffs - Philadelphia Union II
- Nashville SC Draws USL Leaders in Thrilling 3-3 in Regular Season Finale - Nashville SC
- T2 Earn 1-0 Road Victory over Phoenix Rising FC in Regular-Season Finale Saturday Night - Portland Timbers 2
- Republic FC Clinch Second Seed Ahead of the Playoffs - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Looks Ahead to Playoffs Following Season Finale Loss - Phoenix Rising FC
- Lights FC Closes 2018 USL Season with Hard-Fought 1-0 Defeat at Sacramento Republic FC - Las Vegas Lights FC
- FC Cincinnati sets USL record of 23 consecutive matches without a loss - FC Cincinnati
- Real Monarchs SLC Shutout Fresno FC 1-0 in Regular Season Finale - Real Monarchs SLC
- Indy Eleven Fall in Tight Contest to Louisville City FC, 1-0 - Indy Eleven
- STLFC Makes Playoffs with 0-0 Draw against OKC Energy FC - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.