Reno Bests Texas in Offensive Matchup
FRISCO, TX (Feb. 6, 2018) -The Texas Legends (21-14) fell short in a shootout against the Reno Bighorns (19-14) 141-155 Tuesday afternoon in Nevada.
The matchup was the first of a four-game road trip for the Legends that leads into the All-Star break. Texas shot 54% and 46% outside, hitting a season-high 97% from the free throw line (38-of-39) but had a season-low 31 rebounds, getting tripled in second chance points by the home team 8-24.
Donald Sloan got Texas off to a hot start, hitting 4-of-5 (3-of-3 outside) for 11 points as the Legends took a 37-32 lead at the first break. After five lead changes, Reno pulled away and held an 8-point advantage going into the locker room.
Marcus Williams stole the show in the third, hitting 7-of-8 for 23 points but Texas found an answer in double-digit performances from Brandon Ashley, Keith Hornsby, and Sloan with 10 points each. Reno spread the gap to 17 but Texas continued chipping away to come within 10 heading into the final minutes. Aaron Harrison became the answer to the visitors' comeback attempts, as his 14 points helped push the Bighorns to their largest lead of the game (+26) midway through the third. Jordan Downing knocked down back-to-back threes for Texas but the Bighorns were beyond reach, evening the season series at 1-1.
Sloan led the Legends with 33 points while Ashley added 28 points, 8 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 blocks. Jalen Jones finished with 23 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 assists, and Anthony Walker (16 points, 6 rebounds) and newcomer Downing (15 points) each contributed their first double-digit games with the Legends.
Reno had nine of their ten active players finish with double-digit scores, led by Williams with 26 and Harrison with 25. Jack Cooley grabbed the game's only double-double for the Bighorns pulling down 13 rebounds and 22 points.
Texas continues their West coast trip in Salt Lake City Thursday at noon CT. Fans can catch all the action live at www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from February 6, 2018
- Memphis Hustle to host Faith and Family Night presented by Belhaven University - Memphis Hustle
- 87ers Stomp Clippers - Delaware Blue Coats
- Beau Biden Foundation on crusade to protect our youth - Delaware Blue Coats
- Reno Bests Texas in Offensive Matchup - Texas Legends
- Bighorns Hand Texas a Loss in Front of Sellout Crowd - Reno Bighorns
- Fast Start Carries Wolves Past Hustle - Iowa Wolves
- Los Angeles Lakers Recall Ivica Zubac from South Bay - South Bay Lakers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- Mavericks Sign Kostas Antetokounmpo to Two-Way Contract; Waive Jalen Jones
- Legends Take Business and Basketball to a New Level in 2017-18 Season
- Brandon Ashley Invited to 2018 NBA G League Elite Mini Camp
- Warney, Motley Named to All-NBA G League Teams
- Texas Legends Summer Camps Open for Registration