Reign FC Signs Goalkeeper Casey Murphy
coma, WA - Reign FC announced today that it has signed goalkeeper Casey Murphy. Murphy, 23, joins from Montpellier in the French Division 1 Féminine. Per league and club policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.
"We're thrilled to add Casey to the club," Reign FC head coach Vlatko Andonovski said. "Any time you can add a player of her caliber, it's a good day. We know that she'll be able to help us this season."
Murphy started all 22 matches for Montpellier this season, guiding the club to a third place finish while allowing 27 goals. Murphy also made two starts for Montpellier in the 2017-18 UEFA Women's Champions League quarterfinals against Chelsea. In 2018, Murphy was selected as the French Division 1 keeper of the year by the French Football Federation.
"Playing in France for the past two seasons was a tremendous learning experience both personally and professionally," Murphy said. "The next step in achieving my goals was to come home and play in the NWSL. I am very thankful to Montpellier HSC, Reign FC and my agent for working together to make this possible. I am excited to join such a talented team and look forward to working hard and contributing towards their goal of winning championships."
Murphy began playing with the U.S. WNT as a U14. The keeper played six matches for the United States at the 2016 U20 Women's World Cup, helping the U20s to a fourth-place finish. Murphy has been called into camp with the senior national team but has not yet been capped.
Prior to going pro, Murphy played for Rutgers University. The Bridgewater, New Jersey native kept 45 clean sheets in her career, a program record and the second-best all-time ledger in Big Ten history. Murphy was named a Mac Hermann Trophy semifinalist in 2017 and was a two time All-Big Ten First Team and All Region selection.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from May 15, 2019
- Reign FC Signs Goalkeeper Casey Murphy - Reign FC
- Utah Royals FC DF Rachel Corise Named to Scotland Women's National Team Roster for 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup - Utah Royals FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reign FC Stories
- Late Equalizer Forces Reign to Settle for Draw in Orlando
- Match Forecast: Reign FC Close out Regular Season against Orlando
- Lauren Barnes and Bev Yanez Named to NWSL Team of the Month
- Reign FC Clinch Playoff Spot with Win over Portland
- Match Forecast: Reign FC Hosts Portland for Fan Appreciation Match