Reign FC Lose Arianna Romero to Dash in Expansion Draft
SEATTLE - Jan. 10, 2014 - The Houston Dash completed the NWSL's first ever Expansion Draft Friday morning. The Dash selected Reign FC's lone Mexican allocated player Arianna Romero with their seventh pick. Seattle proceeded to protect defender Kate Deines from selection in the draft.
Ari Romero joined Reign FC last week in the NWSL national team allocations. The defender spent time with the Mexican U-20 squad before being called up to the National Team in 2011. Romero was called up again in September 2013 for a friendly against the USWNT where she started and played the full 90.
"We are disappointed to see Romero go. She is a player with great potential and we were looking forward to seeing her in Seattle," said Reign FC GM and head coach Laura Harvey.
Reign FC now turns it's attention to the NWSL College Draft set to take place on Friday, Jan. 17 at 7 a.m. (PT) from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Convention in Philadelphia.
Season tickets for the 2014 Seattle Reign FC season are now available for purchase at www.ReignFC.com.
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from January 10, 2014
- Houston Dash Select Lauren Sesselmann in Expansion Draft - FC Kansas City
- Bock and Adams Selected by Houston Dash in NWSL Expansion Draft - Sky Blue FC
- Houston Dash Selects Red Stars Forward Ella Masar in 2014 NWSL Expansion Draft - Chicago Red Stars
- Flash Untouched in 2014 Expansion Draft - Western New York Flash
- Reign FC Lose Arianna Romero to Dash in Expansion Draft - Reign FC
- NWSL Announces 2014 Expansion Draft Results - NWSL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.