Redbirds Coast Past Cubs
MEMPHIS, TN - The Iowa Cubs (34-61) dropped a one-run contest to the Memphis Redbirds (61-35), falling 3-2 Tuesday at AutoZone Park.
Both starters, Austin Gomber and Alec Mills, were dominant through five as Memphis scored the game's only run off two hits in the first. Iowa wouldn't knock its first hit in the game until the fifth with a Bijan Rademacher single.
Memphis would get to Mills again in the sixth after he had retired 10 of 12 batters from innings two through five. Luke Voit, 18-for-26 against the I-Cubs this season, started the rally with a one-out single and scored on a Carson Kelly double, before Kelly scored himself on a single from Patrick Wisdom.
Iowa cut into the 3-0 deficit in the seventh, making the most of a leadoff single off the bat of Rademacher. Chesny Young legged out a single on a bunt and Rademacher sped home after a throwing error on the play.
The I-Cubs were able to tack on to their run total in the eighth as Jason Vosler cracked an RBI double but Iowa missed the big inning it left the bases juiced. The I-Cubs put two on in the ninth but fell short of the comeback.
With an eighth-inning single, Ryan Court extended his hitting streak to 12 games. Rademacher paced the Iowa offense with two of the team's eight hits, one walk and one run scored.
Mills (4-10) was the unlucky loser, tabbing a quality start with three runs allowed through 6.0 innings. Taking the seventh, Anthony Bass spun a perfect inning with one strikeout in his first rehab outing. Kyle Ryan closed out the game with a scoreless eighth.
Iowa and Memphis meet for the third game of the set tomorrow to 7:05 p.m. CT. Follow the action on AM 940, www.iowacubs.com or MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 17, 2018
- Garcia's Monster Game Leads Sounds over Chasers - Nashville Sounds
- Sounds Blast Chasers, 11-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Redbirds Coast Past Cubs - Iowa Cubs
- Redbirds Hold Tight for 3-2 Win over Iowa - Memphis Redbirds
- Salt Lake Bees Host Kids Clinic at Smith's Ballpark Wednesday - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Omaha Storm Chasers (41-52) at Nashville Sounds (45-48) - Nashville Sounds
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (60-35) vs Iowa Cubs (34-60) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - July 17, 2018 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Aces Skunked on Monday Night - Reno Aces
- Tacoma Earns Comeback Road Win In Reno, 10-6 - Tacoma Rainiers
- Blanco's late RBI lifts River Cats over Grizzlies - Sacramento River Cats
- Sacramento's late run dooms Fresno in series opener - Fresno Grizzlies
- Kennedy Gets Chihuahuas Back on Track - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Top 51s on Angels Night - Salt Lake Bees
- Nashville Outlasts Omaha in 11, 5-4 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Take Series Opener over Express 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Sounds Walk off on Storm Chasers in Extras - Nashville Sounds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.