Red Claws to Pick 3rd in 2010 Draft
PORTLAND, ME - The Maine Red Claws received the 3rd pick in the 2010 NBA Development League Draft through a lottery conducted at the annual coaches meetings this evening. The draft will be held on November 1.
The Reno Bighorns will have the first overall pick in a serpentine selection process, followed by the New Mexico Thunderbirds.
The draft is "serpentine" or "snaked" which means the order will be reversed in each of the eight rounds. For example, after picking first, Reno's next selections will be the 32nd and 33rd overall. The Idaho Stampede will select last in the first round, but first in the second round, giving them the 16th and 17th picks overall.
Each of the NBA D-League's 16 teams will be given one pick in each round. No trades will be permitted during the draft, and only players signed to an NBA Development League Standard Player Contract are eligible to be selected.
"This is the first step towards building the 2010-11 Red Claws," said Red Claws President and General Manager Jon Jennings. "We are looking forward to the draft in November and beginning our second NBA D-League season."
In addition to the 3rd overall pick, Maine will also select 30th, 35th, 62nd, 67th, 94th, 99th, and 126th overall in the 128-player draft.
CELTICS LEGEND TOMMY HEINSOHN AT EXPO SATURDAY: Boston Celtics legend Tommy Heinsohn will join the Red Claws on Saturday, September 25, during the team's annual "Select-A-Seat Day" at the Portland Expo. The event is sponsored by Gobeil's Furniture Galleries of Gray, and there is no charge for the event. Heinsohn will be available to sign autographs and pose for pictures. The NBA great, who holds eight championship rings as a player and one as a coach with the Celtics, will appear as part of the Red Claws' annual "Pick-A-Seat Day," an opportunity for Red Claws' fans to check out the Portland Expo, including the parquet floor, as well as for new and prospective season ticket holders to check out the view from their seats. The event will be held from 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM, with Tommy Heinsohn making an appearance from 1:00 PM - 4:00 PM. Red Claws season and group tickets for the 2010-11 season are now on sale and may be purchased online at www.maineredclaws.com, by phone at 207-210-6655 or in person at the Red Claws offices located at 413 Congress Street in Portland.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from September 21, 2010
- Thunderbirds to Pick Second in D-League Draft - New Mexico Thunderbirds
- 66ers to Pick 13th in 2010 Draft - Tulsa 66ers
- Energy to Select 6th in Annual NBA D-League Player Draft - Iowa Wolves
- Bighorns Earn First Pick in 2010 NBA Development League Draft - Reno Bighorns
- Skyforce to Pick 11th in 2010 NBA Development League Draft - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Red Claws to Pick 3rd in 2010 Draft - Maine Red Claws
- Vipers to Pick Seventh in 2010 NBA Development League Draft - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Reno Bighorns to Pick First in the 2010 NBA Development League Draft - G League
- BayHawks Name New Head Coach - Erie BayHawks
- Junior Dance Team Auditions Set - Tulsa 66ers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Red Claws Stories
- Red Claws President Dajuan Eubanks Named 2019-20 NBA G League Team Executive of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws
- Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters Receive All-NBA G League Honors
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Rookie of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws on Cancellation of 2019-20 NBA G League Season