Red Bulls Forward Juan Pablo Angel Voted MLS Player of the Month for May
NEW YORK (May 31, 2007) - New York Red Bulls forward Juan Pablo Angel was named MLS player for the month of May after scoring three goals and tallying two assists in his first three games this season. The Red Bulls went 2-1-1 during the month and are currently tied for first place in the Eastern Conference with a game in hand over co-leader New England Revolution.
Angel made his regular season debut on May 13 against Colorado as the Red Bulls' second designated player. On May 19 against the Columbus Crew, he assisted on John Wolyniec's goal, contributed to a goal mouth play that Clint Mathis finished off, and scored his first goal in MLS League action during a 4-0 victory.
Next, the 31 year-old Columbian had a two-goal, one-assist effort in a 3-0 win over the Chicago Fire on May 24. Angel helped set up a Jozy Altidore strike in the first minute before adding his second goal of the season two minutes later. He capped off the scoring in the second half, using a clever turn to fool a Chicago defender before slotting it past the Fire goalkeeper.
Angel is in his first season with the Red Bulls. He last played with English Premiership club Aston Villa appearing in 205 games, while scoring 62 goals in all competitions. His best season with Villa came in 2003, when he scored 23 goals in 38 games. This is the first MLS Player of the Month award for Angel who also won his first Player of the Week award in Week 7.
The MLS Player of the Month is selected following the last game of each month throughout the regular season by a panel of journalists from the Professional Soccer Reporters Association (PSRA). The PSRA votes among players nominated by their respective teams.
2007 MLS Player of the Month Awards
April: Eddie Johnson - Kansas City Wizards
May: Juan Pablo Angel - New York Red Bulls
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 31, 2007
- Red Bulls Forward Juan Pablo Angel Voted MLS Player of the Month for May - New York Red Bulls
- Colorado Rapids Announce Youth Development Plans - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids Announce the Hiring of Brian Crookham as Director of Coaching for the Rapids Academy - Colorado Rapids
- New England to face Real Salt Lake - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- New York Red Bulls Announce Roster for First Preseason Camp
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of the New York Red Bulls
- New York Red Bulls Sign Academy Product John Tolkin
- New York Red Bulls Select Three in 2020 MLS SuperDraft Day Two
- SheBelieves Cup Returns to Red Bull Arena