Red Bulls Acquire Staten Island Native Wolyniec from L.A.
SECAUCUS, NJ (Thursday, August 17, 2006) - Red Bull New York announced today that they have acquired forward John Wolyniec from the Los Angeles Galaxy in exchange for a fourth round draft pick in 2007 and a second round draft pick in 2008. The Staten Island, NY native had tallied one goal in 10 appearances with the Galaxy in 2006.
"We are very happy to have John return home to the Red Bulls," said Red Bull New York Sporting Director and Head Coach Bruce Arena. "His veteran leadership and experience will greatly benefit our team and we are excited to welcome back a true fan favorite to the metropolitan area."
This will be Wolyniec's third stint with New York. In his eight-year MLS career, Wolyniec, 29, has spent time with New York (1999, 2003-2005), Chicago Fire (2000-2002), Columbus Crew (2005-2006), Los Angeles Galaxy (2006), and the New England Revolution, where he appeared in one game during the 2001 season.
In 2003, the Fordham University product broke out during his second tenure with New York, playing in 25 matches and recording a then-career high five goals and two assists. A year later, Wolyniec was the only New York player to appear in each of the squad's 30 games, and tied for the team lead in goals with 10.
After enjoying the first half of the 2005 season in New York, Wolyniec, along with a partial allocation, was traded to Columbus for forward Ante Razov on June 7, 2005. Then, on May 12, 2006, Wolyniec and Kyle Martino were dealt from Columbus to Los Angeles for Joseph Ngwenya and Ned Grabavoy.
In his MLS career, Wolyniec has appeared in 117 matches, registering 25 goals and 10 assists. He also made two appearances for Bruce Arena with the U.S. National Team in 2004.
Wolyniec is expected to be active for the Red Bulls' match this Saturday, August 19 against Columbus at Crew Stadium. Kickoff time is 7:30 p.m. and the game will be broadcast live on the MSG Network and on Fox Soccer Channel.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from August 17, 2006
- Red Bulls to 'Kick-It' With Horizon Kids - New York Red Bulls
- Galaxy acquire 2007 and 2008 MLS SuperDraft picks from New York - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Acquire Staten Island Native Wolyniec from L.A. - New York Red Bulls
- Notice of Revolution Schedule Changes - New England Revolution
- D.C. United hosts Second Annual Corporate Cup - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls November FIFA Window International Round Up
- RBNY Advance to Eastern Conference Championship for First Time Since 2015
- New York Red Bulls Aaron Long, Kemar Lawrence Named to MLS Best XI
- Match Preview: New York Aims to Bounce Back against Columbus Crew SC in Leg 2
- Aaron Long Named 2018 MLS Defender of the Year