Red Bulls Acquire Dave van den Bergh
SECAUCUS, NJ (Thursday, January 11, 2007) - Red Bull New York announced today that it has acquired Dutch midfielder/forward Dave van den Bergh from the Kansas City Wizards in exchange for a 2007 third-round supplemental draft pick.
Van den Bergh, 30, started and played 13 games for Kansas City and notched three goals and two assists after the Wizards acquired his rights from Dutch Eredivisie (first division) club, FC Utretcht, on June 2, 2006. Prior to joining Kansas City last summer, van den Bergh was a mainstay with FC Utrecht, where he appeared in a total of 184 matches over six seasons, scoring 29 goals.
"We are excited to have a player with the experience and ability of Dave van den Bergh," said Red Bull New York Technical Director Jeff Agoos. "We believe he will play an important role in the success of our team."
After entering the youth system for renowned Dutch Eredivisie club, Ajax Amsterdam, Van den Bergh made his professional debut for the club at the age of 19. Following a two-season stay at Ajax, Van den Bergh enjoyed a stint with Spanish side, Rayo Vallecano (1997-2000), where in his first year, he helped his team earn promotion into Spain's First Division.
With FC Utrecht, during 2000-01 and 2005-06, van den Bergh enjoyed his statistically best seasons, scoring six goals in both campaigns. In 2004, van den Bergh, a naturally left-footed player, earned his first two caps playing for Holland's National Team in a pair of international friendlies.
Born in Amsterdam, van den Bergh will become the second Senior International on the Red Bulls' roster. Austrian midfielder Markus Schopp is the other Senior International. Per MLS regulations, individual teams are allowed to have four non-domestic players who turn 25 or over during a respective season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 11, 2007
- Kevin Payne comments on Beckham signing by Galaxy - D.C. United
- D.C. United player appearance January 15 - D.C. United
- Red Bulls Acquire Dave van den Bergh - New York Red Bulls
- Global icon David Beckham signs with Los Angeles Galaxy - LA Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Match Preview: New York Hosts Vancouver in Midweek Nonconference Action
- 10-Man Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United, 1-0
- Match Preview: New York and Atlanta Set for Primetime Sunday Matchup
- Red Bulls Earn Road Win in Dallas
- Match Preview: New York Heads West to Face FC Dallas