Red Bulls Acquire Allocation Money, International Slot
SECAUCUS, NJ (March 2, 2009) - Red Bull New York announced today that it has acquired allocation money and an international slot from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for defender Chris Leitch.
"This move gives us more roster flexibility as we prepare for the start of the MLS season," said Red Bull New York Sporting Director Jeff Agoos. "Chris has been a consummate professional during his time in New York and we wish him the best of luck in San Jose."
Leitch was in the midst of his second term with New York after he signed as a free agent on July 5, 2007. In 2008, Leitch played in 17 games and notched two assists. The 29-year-old also started in all four of the Red Bulls' playoff games in the team's run to the MLS Cup Final. Leitch has played a total of 101 regular season games for New York between his most recent stint and his first go-around with the club from 2003-05. The Baltimore, OH native was originally selected by the Columbus Crew in the fourth round (47th overall) in the 2002 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of North Carolina. He was a member of the Crew in 2002 and 2006.
The 2008 MLS Cup Finalist Red Bulls begin the 2009 MLS season on March 19 at Seattle against the expansion Seattle Sounders FC at Qwest Field. The game will be telecast nationally on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes at 9 PM ET and locally broadcast live on WADO 1280 AM in Spanish.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 2, 2009
- Swiss midfielder Raphaël Wicky retires from professional soccer - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Kansas City Wizards Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- FC Dallas Suffers 4-3 Defeat to Brazil's Parana in Preseason Game in Curitiba - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Acquire Allocation Money, International Slot - New York Red Bulls
- Sounders FC Sells Out Home Opener - Seattle Sounders FC
- Earthquakes Acquire Defender Chris Leitch From New York Red Bulls - San Jose Earthquakes
- Rapids Make Moves to Become Roster Compliant - Colorado Rapids
- Dynamo bring Quickfoot Tournament back to Houston - Houston Dynamo
- New York Red Bulls Weekly Update - New York Red Bulls
- Revs head to North Carolina on Wednesday for a 12-day training trip - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.