Red Bull New York Signs Goalkeeper Alec Dufty
SECAUCUS, NJ (March 17, 2009) - Red Bull New York announced today that it has signed goalkeeper Alec Dufty. Per MLS and club regulations, specific terms of the deal were not disclosed.
Dufty joined the Red Bulls' preseason camp as a guest player in January after he was not selected in the 2009 MLS SuperDraft. Prior to coming to New York, Dufty attended the University of Evansville. In his senior year, Dufty started in 16 of 18 games, posting an 8-6-2 record, six shutouts and a 1.45 goals against average. A year before, the Raleigh, NC native was the Purple Aces' Most Valuable Defensive Player after recording 74 saves and three shutouts en route to earning 10 wins. Dufty, 22, was a two-time all-Missouri Valley Conference selection and also attended the 2009 MLS Combine in January. Dufty started his college career at Appalachian State University before transferring to Evansville during his sophomore year. He participated in U.S. Under-20 Men's National Team training camp in May 2006.
The 2008 MLS Cup Finalist Red Bulls begin the 2009 MLS season on March 19 at Seattle against the expansion Seattle Sounders FC at Qwest Field. The game will be telecast nationally on ESPN2 and ESPN Deportes at 9 PM ET and locally broadcast live on WADO 1280 AM in Spanish. Their home opener is on Saturday, March 28 when they host the New England Revolution at Giants Stadium at 7:30 PM ET (TV: Fox Soccer Channel, Radio: WADO 1280 AM).
Transactions: Red Bull New York signs goalkeeper Alec Dufty. Red Bull New York also acquires an international slot from the Houston Dynamo in exchange for allocation money.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from March 17, 2009
- Chicago Fire weekly notes - Chicago Fire
- Univision's "Senadora" model to make appearance at Sueño MLS 09 - built by The Home Depot - D.C. United
- Earthquakes Defender Nick Garcia to Appear at Walter L. Bachrodt Elementary School - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update: Tuesday, March 17, 2009 - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Announces Opening Day Activities at Pizza Hut Park - FC Dallas
- Toronto FC Adds Radio Partner - Toronto FC
- Revolution adds defender Darrius Barnes - New England Revolution
- Red Bull New York Signs Goalkeeper Alec Dufty - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Red Bulls Stories
- Red Bulls Falter against Orlando City SC at Home, 1-0
- Match Preview: Red Bulls Welcome Orlando City SC on Saturday
- Kemar Lawrence Joins Jamaica for CONCACAF Nations Qualification
- Injury Update: Florian Valot
- Red Bulls Roll Past San Jose, 4-1, in MLS Home Opener