RECAP: Republic FC Down Tacoma Defiance 3-0
Sacramento, Calif. - Thomas Enevoldsen scored his second consecutive brace at home as Republic FC defeated Tacoma Defiance 3-0 at Papa Murphy's Park on Saturday night.
With the win, Simon Elliott's men climbed up to sixth place in the Western Conference standings with 37 points from 26 matches. Republic FC is now just three points behind fourth-placed Austin Bold FC with a game in hand. The Indomitable Club will have a chance to gain ground on the Texan side as Austin is their opponent on Wednesday night.
Thomas Enevoldsen opened the scoring in the 13th minute after calmly brushing home a Jordan McCrary cross to put the home side again. McCrary surged down the right flank with possession before firing a right-footed ball into the box that found a wide open Enevoldsen directly in front of goal.
The Danish striker was involved again as Republic FC doubled their lead on the cusp of halftime. Enevoldsen slid a pass between two Tacoma defenders at the top of the box to Cameron Iwasa who rifled a left-footed shot on his first touch towards the far corner to beat the Tacoma goalkeeper.
Republic FC put the game out of reach in the 75th minute when Jaime Villarreal flicked a perfectly weighted through ball to Iwasa in the box. The Sacramento native selflessly picked out a wide open Enevoldsen who powered his shot into the top of the netting for the 3-0 lead. The goal was Enevoldsen's second brace in as many home matches since joining SRFC in mid-August, while the assist was Iwasa's team-leading fifth of the year.
The Indomitable Club continue their three-game run in eight dayswhen the team travels to Texas midweek to take on Austin Bold on Wednesday night at 5:30 p.m. PT. The quick turnaround continues for the boys in Old Glory Red when they host Rio Grande Valley FC Toros on Sunday, September 15 at 2 p.m. PT for Family Day at Papa Murphy's Park.
Sacramento Republic FC 3-0 Tacoma Defiance USL Championship Match Papa Murphy's Park, Sacramento, California September 7, 2019 - Attendance: 10,218
Scoring Summary: SAC - Thomas Enevoldsen (Jordan McCrary) 13, Cameron Iwasa (Thomas Enevoldsen) 45, Thomas Enevoldsen (Cameron Iwasa) 75.
Misconduct Summary: SAC - Drew Skundrich (caution) 11, Mitchell Taintor (caution) 18; TAC - Marlon Vargas (caution) 33, Christopher Hegardt (caution) 90.
Sacramento Republic FC - Bobby Shuttleworth; Jordan McCrary, Matt Mahoney, Mitchell Taintor, Juan Barahona (Charalampos Chantzopoulos 85); Jaime Villarreal, Keven Aleman, Villyan Bijev (Sam Werner 67), Drew Skundrich; Thomas Enevoldsen (Dariusz Formella 79), Cameron Iwasa.
Subs Not Used: Rafael Diaz, Dekel Keinan, Hayden Partain, Stefano Bonomo.
Stats - Shots: 18, Shots on Goal: 9, Saves: 1, Fouls: 17, Corner Kicks: 7, Offsides: 0.
Tacoma Defiance - Trey Muse; Denso Ulysse, Sam Rogers, Ever Rubio, Matt Nance (Alex Villanueva 31); Josh Atencio, Jesse Daley; Ray Serrano (Chris Hegardt 73), Danny Robles (Herbert Robinson 59), Marlon Vargas, Austin Brummett.
Subs Not Used: Jamie Lowell, Aleks Berkolds
Stats - Shots: 5, Shots on Goal: 1, Saves: 6, Fouls: 11, Corner Kicks: 7, Offsides: 1.
Images from this story
Sacramento Republic FC vs. Tacoma Defiance
Sacramento Republic FC forward Cameron Iwasa with possession vs. Tacoma Defiance
Sacramento Republic FC midfielder Kevin Aleman vs. Tacoma Defiance
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 8, 2019
- New Mexico Ends Skid, 3-1 at OKC - New Mexico United
- Despite Dominant Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Charleston - Indy Eleven
- Battery Beat Eastern Conference Giants, Indy Eleven, 1-0 - Charleston Battery
- T2 Fall 2-1 to Orange County SC Sunday - Portland Timbers 2
- James Chambers becomes first player to make 100 starts for Steel FC in 3-3 draw - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Match at Sacramento Republic FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Can't Derail Locomotive FC on Helicopter Cash Drop Night - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Down Tacoma Defiance 3-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Collects 18th Straight Win with Thrilling Late Goal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Wild Ending in Reno Sees Zorros Escape with 3-2 Victory - Fresno FC
- Musovski's Two Goals Not Enough To Complete Comback - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Dominate in 3-0 Road Victory over Las Vegas - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Battle out 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Narrowly Falls 0-1 to Phoenix Rising FC Despite Impressive Performance - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops 3-1 Result to LA Galaxy II - Real Monarchs SLC
- STLFC Wins 1-0 over Nashville SC in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Playoff-Bound Republic FC Fall to OCSC But Still Have the Possibility of a Home Play-In Game
- Republic FC Academy Players Shine in Loss to FC Juarez
- Republic FC Defender Juan Barahona Called up to El Salvador Men's National Team
- Republic FC Reclaim Fourth Place Following Saturday's Win in Tulsa
- Republic FC Come-From-Behind to Pick up a Point against LA Galaxy II