New Mexico Ends Skid, 3-1 at OKC
(OKLAHOMA CITY, Oklahoma) New Mexico United's winless streak is over. In an impressive start-to-finish performance on the road, United defeated Oklahoma City 3:1 at Taft Stadium. Devon Sandoval netted two, and Chris Wehan notched an insurance goal in the 71st minute, as New Mexico jumped from 13th to 9th in the Western Conference table.
Sandoval's 11th minute strike is destined for a Goal of the Week nomination. Santi Moar's cross found David Estrada, who rocketed his header off of the turf. Sandoval set, and blasted an inspired bicycle kick past Energy Goalkeeper, Cody Laurendi. Moments later, Mekeil Williams dragged United's Sanit Moar to the ground in box, and referee Mark Allatin awarded New Mexico the penalty. Sandoval took the PK, and converted it coolly.
In the 56th minute, Energy FC Striker, Deshorn Brown cut New Mexico's lead in half when Christian Eissele's through ball found him perfectly on a sharp counterattack. A 63rd minute substitution would prove crucial for Troy Lesesne's side. Daniel Bruce, less than 10 minutes after taking the pitch, scorched down the right-hand side, and slid a beauty of a ball in the center of the box. Chris Wehan was on the other end, and blasted home United's 3rd and final goal of the evening.
Up Next: United return home for a September 14 match with Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC.
NM: Sandoval (11, 16 (P)); Wehan (71)
OKC: Brown (57)
NM: Tetteh, 21' (Yellow); Guzman, 45' (Yellow); Suggs, 72' (Yellow)
OKC: Williams, 16' (Yellow); Harris, 86' (Yellow); Garcia, 85' (Yellow)
NM: Shots: 16 Shots on Goal: 5 Saves: 3 Fouls: 14 Corner Kicks: 3 Offside: 1
OKC: Shots: 8 Shots on Goal: 4 Saves: 2 Fouls: 12 Corner Kicks: 2 Offside: 2
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 8, 2019
- New Mexico Ends Skid, 3-1 at OKC - New Mexico United
- Despite Dominant Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Charleston - Indy Eleven
- Battery Beat Eastern Conference Giants, Indy Eleven, 1-0 - Charleston Battery
- T2 Fall 2-1 to Orange County SC Sunday - Portland Timbers 2
- James Chambers becomes first player to make 100 starts for Steel FC in 3-3 draw - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Match at Sacramento Republic FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Can't Derail Locomotive FC on Helicopter Cash Drop Night - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Down Tacoma Defiance 3-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Collects 18th Straight Win with Thrilling Late Goal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Wild Ending in Reno Sees Zorros Escape with 3-2 Victory - Fresno FC
- Musovski's Two Goals Not Enough To Complete Comback - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Dominate in 3-0 Road Victory over Las Vegas - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Battle out 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Narrowly Falls 0-1 to Phoenix Rising FC Despite Impressive Performance - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops 3-1 Result to LA Galaxy II - Real Monarchs SLC
- STLFC Wins 1-0 over Nashville SC in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.