Phoenix Rising Collects 18th Straight Win with Thrilling Late Goal
PHOENIX - Phoenix Rising FC had to wait nearly 90 minutes to put itself in a position to extend its historic winning streak, but an 87th-minute free-kick goal from Solomon Asante sealed the club's 20th win of the season. The club has now won 18 straight matches, tying the record for most consecutive wins by a professional sports team in the Valley. The club also notched its 16th consecutive sellout of the season with a crowd of 6,466.
WHAT TO KNOW
Phoenix Rising extends its winning streak to 18 matches.
Phoenix Rising broke single-season club records for wins (20) and points (64).
The sellout crowd of 6,466 was Phoenix Rising's 16th consecutive sellout at Casino Arizona Field. The club is also unbeaten in 16 straight at home.
Goalkeeper Zac Lubin broke a single-season club record for clean sheets (13).
The free kick came about following a San Antonio foul just outside of the 18-yard box. With the ball slightly to the right of the center of the field, Asante curled a shot toward the far left corner of the frame. The ball smacked the post, then went directly into the net, sending the Casino Arizona Field crowd into a frenzy.
Just two minutes before the free kick, goalkeeper Zac Lubin kept the club's winning streak hopes alive. San Antonio's Frank Lopez got in behind the defense and beat the only defender near him to run uninterrupted into the box for a 1v1 chance on Lubin. But the goalkeeper quickly came off his line and stopped Lopez as he tried to slide the ball underneath Lubin.
Lubin made five saves total and earned his 13th clean sheet of the season, setting the club single-season record for clean sheets in a season.
Phoenix Rising takes a quick trip to Las Vegas on a short turnaround for a Wednesday night showdown in Sin City. The match will air live on Your PHX CW (channels 6 & 61.1) with kickoff at 7:30 p.m.
PHOENIX RISING FC 1-0 SAN ANTONIO FC
PHX: 87', 20-Solomon Asante
PHX: 64', 19-José Aguinaga (caution)
PHX: 74', 41-James Musa (caution)
SA: 80', Pecka (caution)
SA: 83', 2-Moises Hernandez (caution)
SA: 89', 11-Jack Barmby (caution)
PHX: 90+', 13-Amadou Dia (caution)
Starting XI: 28-Zac Lubin; 13-Amadou Dia, 3-A.J. Cochran, 4-Corey Whelan, 16-Austin Ledbetter; 27-Kevon lambert, 19-José Aguinaga (90+', 23-Ben Spencer), 10-Jon Bakero (43', 41-James Musa); 21-Joey Calistri (69', 14-Jason Johnson), 9-Adam Jahn, 20-Solomon Asante
Subs not used: 1-Carl Woszczynski, 2-Douegui Mala, 14-Jason Johnson, 15-Joey Farrell, 32- Kyle Bjornethun,
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 8, 2019
- New Mexico Ends Skid, 3-1 at OKC - New Mexico United
- Despite Dominant Effort, Indy Eleven Falls 1-0 at Charleston - Indy Eleven
- Battery Beat Eastern Conference Giants, Indy Eleven, 1-0 - Charleston Battery
- T2 Fall 2-1 to Orange County SC Sunday - Portland Timbers 2
- James Chambers becomes first player to make 100 starts for Steel FC in 3-3 draw - Bethlehem Steel FC
- Tacoma Defiance Drops Match at Sacramento Republic FC - Tacoma Defiance
- Lights FC Can't Derail Locomotive FC on Helicopter Cash Drop Night - Las Vegas Lights FC
- RECAP: Republic FC Down Tacoma Defiance 3-0 - Sacramento Republic FC
- Phoenix Rising Collects 18th Straight Win with Thrilling Late Goal - Phoenix Rising FC
- Wild Ending in Reno Sees Zorros Escape with 3-2 Victory - Fresno FC
- Musovski's Two Goals Not Enough To Complete Comback - Reno 1868 FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Dominate in 3-0 Road Victory over Las Vegas - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Switchbacks FC Battle out 1-1 Draw with Austin Bold FC - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- San Antonio FC Narrowly Falls 0-1 to Phoenix Rising FC Despite Impressive Performance - San Antonio FC
- Real Monarchs SLC Drops 3-1 Result to LA Galaxy II - Real Monarchs SLC
- STLFC Wins 1-0 over Nashville SC in Front of Sell-Out Crowd - Saint Louis FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Phoenix Rising FC Stories
- Phoenix Rising Caps Historic 2019 Regular Season with 3-1 Win over OKC Energy on $1 Beer Night
- Phoenix Rising Looks to Close out Historic 2019 Regular Season on High Note
- Phoenix Rising Falls to Real Monarchs 2-1
- Rising FC Duo Named to USL Championship Team of the Week
- Phoenix Rising Ties USL Championship Record for Wins with Wild 5-3 Victory over Portland