RECAP: Portland 3 - Everett 0
PORTLAND - Kieffer Bellows scored the first two goals of a third period rally and Cole Kehler furnished a 21-save shutout to help the Portland Winterhawks get by the Everett Silvertips, 3-0 before 3,938 fans at Veterans Memorial Coliseum on Wednesday in WHL action.
The loss was the first by the Silvertips in regulation, in 11 games, ending a streak of 9-0-0-1. The Silvertips outshot Portland, 10-5 in the first period and fell to 5-4-0-0 in the season series. Skyler McKenzie added an empty netter, closing three goals in the final 8:49 of the game.
UP NEXT: The Tips open a home-and-home series on Friday with the Kelowna Rockets, 7:05 p.m. (1380 AM / FM 95.3 / Tips App / WHL Live) at Prospera Place and return home Saturday, 7:05 p.m. against the Rockets. Tickets are on sale at www.everettsilvertips.com/ticketcentral and a special Star Wars Night package for Saturday is available at www.everettsilvertips.com/starwars.
After a scoreless first period where the Tips best chance came on a Matt Fonteyne steal at the Portland net, the Winterhawks roared back with a 20-5 edge in shots for the second period. Carter Hart, who made 39 saves, kept the game close with a point blank stop in the first minute on Cody Glass then denied Skyler McKenzie's snapper with a left pad save.
Through the first half of the third period, the game remained scoreless but Bellows converted on a power play after a Tips penalty for holding in the offensive zone at 10:29. Henri Jokiharju and Cody Glass whipped successive passes through the Tips penalty kill structure, eventually to Bellows, who parked a shot into a wide open net at the right circle.
Just 2:17 later, Bellow's intended pass to the front of the net, targeted for Skyler McKenzie, snuck through for a 2-0 lead. The Tips dodged another slashing penalty at 14:44 but were unable to manufacture a prolonged threat after pulling Carter Hart with less than two minutes left.
McKenzie finished with an empty netter from Glass' feed at center ice with 1:09 left.
SILVERTIPS LINE COMBOS 15 / RICHARDS 17 / FONTEYNE 8 / BAJKOV 43 / DEWAR 14 / SUTTER 41 / PILON 19 / KINDOPP 26 / VITELLI 16 / ORMSBY 44 / GERTH 10 / O'ROURKE 7 / FASKO-RUDAS DEFENSIVE PAIRINGS 23 / CHRISTIANSEN 38 / DAVIS 42 / VALA 29 / WYLIE 20 / K. WALKER 4 / I. WALKER GOALTENDERS 70 / HART 32 / WOLF
Notes: Silvertips scratches included Gianni Fairbrother (injury, week to week), Akash Bains (injury, week-to-week), Bronson Sharp (injury, week-to-week), Jameson Murray (healthy), and Dawson Butt (healthy) ... the Tips were shutout for the third time this season, all coming on the road ... the Tips held a lead of three points for first place in the U.S. Division by the end of the night.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2018
- RECAP: Portland 3 - Everett 0 - Everett Silvertips
- GIANTS WRAP UP JANUARY WITH 4-1 HOME VICTORY AGAINST CALGARY - Vancouver Giants
- GAUTHIER STOPS FIFTY-SIX IN LOSS TO REGINA (Regina 4 Cougars 1) - Prince George Cougars
- ROYALS DEFEATED BY AMERICANS - Victoria Royals
- CALGARY HITMEN Giants 4 Hitmen 1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Recap: Regina Pats (4) vs Prince George Cougars (1) - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Silvertips Strengthen Coaching Staff as Harry Mahood Named Assistant Coach
- Silvertips Bolster Coaching Staff as Louis Mass Named Assistant Coach
- Shane Clifford Accepts Goaltending Coach Position Offer with Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League
- Silvertips Street Hockey Tournament Returns Saturday, July 14
- Colorado Avalanche Sign Defenseman Kevin Davis to a Two-Way AHL Contract with Colorado Eagles