ROYALS DEFEATED BY AMERICANS
Kennewick, WA - The Victoria Royals dropped a 7-1 contest to the Tri-City Americans on Wednesday night at the Toyota Center.
GAME SUMMARY -
Scoring: Royals - Jared Freadrich 1g-0a, Matthew Phillips 0g-1a, Noah Gregor 0g-1a. Tri-City - Morgan Geekie 1g-3a; Jordan Topping 3g-0a (Game Winner); Dylan Coghlan 0g-3a, Isaac Johnson 1g-1a; Michael Rasmussen 1g-2a; Nolan Yaremko 1g-1a; Sasha Mutala 0g-1a.
Goaltending: Royals - Griffen Outhouse (L) - 40:00 Mins, 25 saves on 31 shots; Dean McNabb - 20:00 Mins, five saves on six shots Tri-City - Beck Warm (W) - 60:00 Mins, 28 saves on 29 shots
Power Play: Royals - 1/333.3% Tri-City - 3/650.0%
Notes: Former Hitmen - Tonight's contest saw a pair of former Calgary Hitmen square off. Victoria's Andrei Grishakov was acquired from Calgary on January 4th, while Tri-City's Jake Bean joined the club after a trade on January 6th.
Island Connection - The Americans have two players on their roster who are from the Vancouver Island area. Defenceman Dylan Coghlan is originally from Nanaimo, while forward Jordan Topping is from Salt Spring Island.
Down South - After tonight, the Royals record against US Division teams moved to 8-3-1-0 this season. Victoria has outscored their opponents 53-40 over those 12 contests. Matthew Phillips leads the club in scoring against US Division teams as he has registered 22 points (11g-11a) in those games. Phillips has also tallied points in 11 of 12 contests this season versus American teams.
January Report - The Victoria Royals saw success in January this year as the club posted a mark of 9-4-0-0 and outscored their opponents 54-53. This marks the second-best January the club has accomplished since it relocated to Vancouver Island. During the 2014-15 season, the Royals finished January with a record of 10-2-1-0.
Streaking Skaters - A pair of Victoria skaters extended their point streaks in tonight's game. Matthew Phillips now has 22 points (7g-15a) over his past 12 games. Noah Gregor has eight points (2g-6a) in seven straight games.
Home Cooking - The Royals return home on Friday, February 2nd for a match-up against the Central Division-leading Medicine Hat Tigers at 7:05 p.m. The game is Eco Night presented by BYD.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from February 1, 2018
- RECAP: Portland 3 - Everett 0 - Everett Silvertips
- GIANTS WRAP UP JANUARY WITH 4-1 HOME VICTORY AGAINST CALGARY - Vancouver Giants
- GAUTHIER STOPS FIFTY-SIX IN LOSS TO REGINA (Regina 4 Cougars 1) - Prince George Cougars
- ROYALS DEFEATED BY AMERICANS - Victoria Royals
- CALGARY HITMEN Giants 4 Hitmen 1 - Calgary Hitmen
- Recap: Regina Pats (4) vs Prince George Cougars (1) - Regina Pats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Victoria Royals Stories
- Royals Acquire Tyler Lees from Blades
- Royals Select John Wilson to Chair 2020 Memorial Cup Bid Committee
- Royals' Khore Elliott Named to Hockey Canada's National Junior Team
- Royals Select Phillip Schultz in CHL Import Draft
- Royals Announce 2018-19 Regular Season Schedule