Rebels Drop Final Preseason Contest to Hitmen
CALGARY - Another WHL preseason game, another day in the classroom for the Red Deer Rebels younger - 17 and under - players.
"It was another learning experience for our young guys," said Rebels GM/head coach Brent Sutter, following a 6-2 loss to the Calgary Hitmen Sunday before 4,944 fans at Scotiabank Saddledome.
It was a rough learning experience early on for the Rebels youngsters, who trailed 4-1 after one period of the game that featured four-on-four play through two 15-minute second and third periods.
Evan Toth opened the scoring for the hosts a mere 74 seconds into the contest, and after Red Deer rookie Jayden Grubbe evened the count shortly after, the Hitmen pulled away with first-period markers off the sticks of Jonas Peterek, Riley Fiddler-Schultz and Adam Kydd.
"Things happen in game situations at this level. You have to be able to react properly and make the right decisions with pucks," said Sutter.
Fiddler-Schultz potted his second of the afternoon at 5:45 of the middle frame, spelling the end for Rebels starting netminder Byron Fancy, who allowed five goals on 13 shots.
"We got some tough goals scored on us. We needed some saves," said Sutter, who dressed only four returning players - Fancy, forward Dallon Melin and defencemen Ryan Gottfried and Chase Leslie.
Ethan Anders replaced Fancy after the fifth Calgary goal and stopped 16 of the 17 shots he faced the rest of the way.
Jace Isley drew the Rebels within three with a goal at 8:09 of the second period and Josh Prokop replied for the hosts 52 seconds later to round out the scoring.
The Rebels were zero-for-four on the power play, the Hitmen zero-for-three.
Jack McNaughton made 10 saves on 12 shots for Calgary, while backup Ethan Hein blocked both shots he faced.
The Rebels' regular-season opener is next Saturday versus the visiting Edmonton Oil Kings.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 15, 2019
- Pre-Season Closes with Win in Brandon - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Rebels Drop Final Preseason Contest to Hitmen - Red Deer Rebels
- Hitmen finish pre-season with a record of 2-2 - Calgary Hitmen
- Winnipeg ICE Reassign 2003-Born Defenceman Karter Prosofsky and 2004-Born Goaltender Daniel Hauser - Winnipeg Ice
- Rockets re-assign trio of players - Kelowna Rockets
- Big Second Period Delivers Chiefs 3-1 Win over Americans - Spokane Chiefs
- 2019-20 WHL Season Preview: Portland Winterhawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Rockets fall to Blazers in marathon shootout - Kelowna Rockets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Red Deer Rebels Stories
- Western Hockey League Announces Opening Date for 2020-21 Regular Season
- Sutter Disappointed for Sedoff, King After Both Passed over in NHL Draft
- Rebels Veteran Douglas Working on Improving His Offensive Game During Extended Off-Season
- Red Deer World Juniors Postponed
- Season Ticket Deadline Extended