Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Home Loss to Colorado Rapids
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (3-3-5, 14 points) fell 5-0 to rival Colorado Rapids on Saturday night, surrendering the Rocky Mountain Cup for the first time since 2015.
Colorado began the match with a flying start, scoring two goals inside 10 minutes, both of which came from Diego Rubio. The first came in the third minute when his header snuck into the net before his long-range effort in the 10th minute found the bottom-right corner of the net. RSL sought its way back into the match, generating several chances that didn't result in goals in the first half, forcing it to settle for a 2-0 scoreline at the break.
Colorado added a third goal shortly after the halftime break when Sam Vines slammed home his first MLS goal in the 49th minute inside the RSL penalty area. The Rapids found a fourth goal of the night through second-half substitute Braian Galvan who curled home inside the penalty area in the 55th minute.
Things went from bad to worse for RSL in the 64th minute when Douglas Martinez was shown a red card after video review. From there, RSL struggled to keep possession and create any clear chances at goal and in the 87thminute, RSL conceded a fifth goal to Cole Bassett in the 87th minute as the match ended 5-0 in favor of the visitors.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will remain at home to welcome Vancouver Whitecaps FC to Rio Tinto Stadium on Saturday, September 19. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
COL: Diego Rubio, 3rd minute: From a corner kick, Colorado created problems for the RSL defense as the corner kick left Andrew Putna stranded in the RSL goal. After the ball was knocked down, Rubio latched onto the end of it to tuck it home for his first of the night.
COL: Diego Rubio (Younes Namli), 10th minute: Finding space in front of the RSL backline, Rubio opened himself up for a long-range effort that found the bottom-right corner of the net.
COL: Sam Vines (Younes Namli), 49th minute: Isolated 1v1 on the near touchline, Namli beat his defender before squaring the ball directly to Vines who slammed home from close range for his first MLS goal.
COL: Braian Galvan (Cole Bassett, Diego Rubio), 55th minute: A poor giveaway from the RSL backline gave the ball to the Rapids in the attacking half as Basset found Galvan for the first-time finish inside the penalty area.
COL: Cole Bassett (Jeremy Kelly), 87th minute: Slaloming through the RSL defense, Kelly set up Bassett for the fifth goal of the night to solidify the final scoreline.
- RSL Head Coach Freddy Juarez made just one change to the starting lineup after Wednesday's 3-0 win over LAFC, starting Everton Luiz in place of Pablo Ruiz.
- Albert RusnÃ k's 100th career MLS regular season appearance. The match was his 11th appearance against Colorado, with four goals and four assists coming against the Rapids, all of which are personal regular season highs against an MLS opponent.
- The loss was RSL's worst home defeat in club history.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids
Date: September 12, 2020
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Sunny and 77 degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 0 0 0
Colorado Rapids 2 3 5
COL: Diego Rubio 3'
COL: Diego Rubio (Younes Namli) 10'
COL: Sam Vines (Younes Namli) 49'
COL: Braian Galvan (Cole Bassett, Diego Rubio) 55'
COL: Cole Bassett (Jeremy Kelly) 87'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): Andrew Putna; Aaron Herrera, Nedum Onuoha, Justen Glad (Erik Holt 73'), Donny Toia; Everton Luiz (Pablo Ruiz 56'), Damir Kreilach; Maikel Chang (Jeizon Ramirez 81'), Albert RusnÃ k, Justin Meram (Douglas Martinez HT); Corey Baird (Sam Johnson 73')
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Nick Besler, Kyle Beckerman, Milan Iloski
Colorado Rapids (4-5-1): William Yarbrough; Keegan Rosenberry (Jeremy Kelly 65'), Lalas Abubakar, Danny Wilson, Sam Vines; Jack Price, Kellyn Acosta (Collen Warner 77'), Cole Bassett, Younes Namli (Braian Galvan 55'), Andre Shinyashiki (Nicolas Mezquida 77'); Diego Rubio (Jonathan Lewis, 65')
Subs not used: Clint Irwin, Drew Moor, Auston Trusty, Kei Kamara
Stats Summary: RSL / COL
Shots: 9 / 16
Shots on Goal: 1 / 8
Saves: 3 / 2
Corner Kicks: 2 / 7
Fouls: 13 / 13
Offside: 2 / 0
RSL: Donny Toia (caution) 54'
RSL: Douglas Martinez (ejection) 64'
COL: Jack Price (caution) 69'
Referee: Ramy Touchan
Assistant Referees: Frank Anderson, Cameron Blanchard
4th Official: Rosendo Mendoza
VAR: Younes Marrakchi
AVAR: TJ Zablocki
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 13, 2020
- Chicago Fire FC Weekly Update: September 14-20 - Chicago Fire FC
- Reliving An Historic Night at Rio Tinto Stadium - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Transfers Zdenek Ondrasek to FC Viktoria Plzen - FC Dallas
- Earthquakes Host LA Galaxy Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Kickoff Time Announced for Revolution's Match vs. New York City FC on September 19 - New England Revolution
- FC Cincinnati Weekly Update: September 13, 2020 - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Drops 5-0 Home Loss to Colorado Rapids - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Nashville SC Scores Four Goals, Extends Unbeaten Run to Four Matches After Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- RSL Bow out of Audi 2021 MLS Cup Playoffs with 2-0 Loss at Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Travels to Portland Saturday, Facing Timbers in Western Conference Final
- RSL Watch Parties for Saturday's Western Conference Final
- Real Salt Lake Advance to Western Conference Final with 2-1 Win at Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake Faces Sporting Kansas City in Western Conference Semifinal