Real Salt Lake Acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC
SANDY, Utah (Wednesday Jan. 30, 2013) - Real Salt Lake acquired FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC on Wednesday, sending a second round pick in the 2015 MLS SuperDraft to the Reds in exchange for the Ecuadorian attacker. Plata will be added to RSL's roster pending the receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 visa.
The 20-year-old Plata last played at LDU Quito, going on a six-month loan to the Ecuadorian side from Toronto FC on July 11, 2012. Ironically, Plata initially joined Toronto FC on loan from LDU Quito, joining the Canadian side after participating in the 2011 MLS Player Combine and getting selected 49th overall in the 2011 MLS SuperDraft. Toronto bought Plata outright in January 2012.
Plata scored 10 goals and added nine assists in 52 appearances across all competitions for Toronto FC.
"We are happy to add a fast, young forward with MLS experience," said RSL GM Garth Lagerwey, who recently brought back former RSL striker Robbie Findley from two years in England, and drafted New Mexico rookie FW Devon Sandoval. "We believe that Joao can become an impactful member of our team as we continue to work to restock our forward group."
Capped once by Ecuador, Plata will travel with RSL from Salt Lake City to Irvine, Calif. for the team's second preseason camp on Thursday. He'll work out with the Claret-and-Cobalt for the first time in Irvine, where RSL will train from Jan. 31-Feb. 8.
RSL - which wrapped a week-long camp in Casa Grande, Ariz. on Monday - will return to Arizona for its final preseason leg, playing in the FC Tucson Desert Diamond Cup from Feb. 11-24.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2013
- Chivas USA Defeats FC Santa Clarita Storm, 4-1, in Second Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Comcast SportsNet Houston Becomes New TV Home of the Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy to Host Club Tijuana in Friendly on February 19 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Second Edition of the Mauro Biello Festival this Weekend - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- United's Andy Najar Transferred to Belgian Side R.S.C. Anderlecht - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Columbus Crew in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Revs Announce 2013 Turf Tour - New England Revolution
- Rapids Midfielder MartÃn Rivero out 2-3 Months with Foot Injury - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Loans Kei Kamara to Norwich City F.C. - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Name Robin Fraser Assistant Coach - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Acquire MLS SuperDraft Pick for Plata - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC and Boulevard Enter into New Sponsorship Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Rookies Adapting Well as Casa Grande Trip Concludes - New England Revolution
- Revs drop final preseason match in Casa Grande - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.