Revs drop final preseason match in Casa Grande
CASA GRANDE, Ariz. - The New England Revolution fell to Vancouver Whitecaps FC, 4-1, on Tuesday night at Grande Sports World. Whitecaps forward Darren Mattocks recorded a hat trick in the first 15 minutes of the game to help stake the Whitecaps to a lead they would not relinquish.
Mattocks put Vancouver on the board 65 seconds into the game when he slotted a Kekuta Manneh low cross past Revs keeper Bobby Shuttleworth. Four minutes later, he struck again when he avoided an offside call and took Camilo Sanvezzo's defense-splitting pass up the middle and slotted home past Shuttleworth.
Chris Tierney pulled one back for the Revs in the 11th minute, converting a penalty kick with a hard shot past Caps keeper Joe Cannon. Newly-signed Matt Horth drew the call when he was taken down in the box while attempting to connect with a Tierney cross.
Mattocks struck for the third time in the 15th minute, this time rising above all players in the box on an Alain Rochat free kick.
The score remained 3-1 until halftime, despite the Revs pushing the attack for the final 25 minutes.
Both teams made almost wholesale changes to their lineups at halftime. After the new players settled in, the Revs picked up where they left off in the first half and strung together long stretches of possession.
Twenty minutes into the second half, however, Vancouver benefited off the counter attack. The Caps were awarded a penalty after Stephen McCarthy stripped Matt Watson in the box with a sliding tackle. Kenny Miller stepped up and buried his shot past substitute keeper Luis Soffner, who dove the correct way, to put Vancouver up, 4-1 in the 65th minute.
The Revs continued to put pressure on the Whitecaps' defense as the second half progressed, but were unable to break through substitute keeper Brad Knighton.
The Revs return to Foxborough on Wednesday, and will train locally for one week before departing for Tucson, Ariz., on Feb. 9. The team will play four matches in the Desert Diamond Cup: Feb. 13 vs. Seattle Sounders FC, Feb. 16 vs. New York Red Bulls, Feb. 20 vs. Real Salt Lake and Feb. 23 in the championship or consolation match. The group-round matches (Feb. 13-20) will be live streamed by mlssoccer.com, while the championship match will be televised live by NBC Sports Network.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2013
- Chivas USA Defeats FC Santa Clarita Storm, 4-1, in Second Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Comcast SportsNet Houston Becomes New TV Home of the Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy to Host Club Tijuana in Friendly on February 19 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Second Edition of the Mauro Biello Festival this Weekend - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- United's Andy Najar Transferred to Belgian Side R.S.C. Anderlecht - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Columbus Crew in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Revs Announce 2013 Turf Tour - New England Revolution
- Rapids Midfielder MartÃn Rivero out 2-3 Months with Foot Injury - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Loans Kei Kamara to Norwich City F.C. - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Name Robin Fraser Assistant Coach - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Acquire MLS SuperDraft Pick for Plata - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC and Boulevard Enter into New Sponsorship Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Rookies Adapting Well as Casa Grande Trip Concludes - New England Revolution
- Revs drop final preseason match in Casa Grande - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New England Revolution Stories
- First-Round SuperDraft Pick Segbers Loaned to USL Side Orange County Soccer Club
- Krisztián Németh Called in to Hungary National Team
- Revolution Sign Local Talent as First Official eMLS Competitor
- Revolution Legend Shalrie Joseph Named Head Coach of Grenada National Team
- Brad Friedel Nominated for 2018 National Soccer Hall of Fame Induction