Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Columbus Crew in Preseason Friendly
CHICAGO, Ill. (Jan. 30, 2013) - The Chicago Fire fell 2-1 to the Columbus Crew at the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. on the final day of preseason camp in Florida. Yazid Atouba, selected in the second round (30th overall) of the 2013 MLS SuperDraft, scored his first goal in a Fire jersey in the 89th minute of the match.
The Crew opened scoring when midfielder Eddie Gaven was taken down in the box by Fire 'keeper Neil Kitson. Federico Higuain converted the ensuing penalty kick to give the Crew the 1-0 advantage in the 21st minute.
At the half, both squads made wholesale changes with Frank Klopas employing an entirely different squad of eleven players for the second half.
The Crew would double their lead in the 65th minute when Ethan Finlay led the counterattack and found Sercan Guvenisik in front of the net who was able to slot the ball under Supplemental Draft pick James Belshaw for the 2-0 lead.
In the waning moments of the match, Atouba, a Cameroonian youth international, picked up a loose ball just outside of the 18-yard-box and unleashed a left-footed blast that was just out of reach of a diving Daniel Withrow to put the Fire on the board in the 89th minute as the match ended 2-1.
The Fire will return to Chicago following the match and are off Thursday and Friday before reconvening for phase two of preseason in Ventura, Calif. from Saturday, Feb. 2 through Sunday, Feb. 10. While on the west coast, the team will face Chivas USA (February 5), 2012 MLS Supporters' Shield winners San Jose Earthquakes and hold a reserve match against the University of California-Santa Barbara on February 9. Supporters can follow all the action on Twitter @ChiFireMatch.
Chicago Fire Season Tickets and #cf97withdrawals Winter Packs, which give fans the opportunity to witness the Men in Red in action on Opening Day while donning the four Fire hats and four pairs of Fire gloves included in the pack, are available by calling 1-888-MLS-FIRE, via Ticketmaster or by heading to the club's official website at www.Chicago-Fire.com.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2013
- Chivas USA Defeats FC Santa Clarita Storm, 4-1, in Second Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Comcast SportsNet Houston Becomes New TV Home of the Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy to Host Club Tijuana in Friendly on February 19 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Second Edition of the Mauro Biello Festival this Weekend - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- United's Andy Najar Transferred to Belgian Side R.S.C. Anderlecht - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Columbus Crew in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Revs Announce 2013 Turf Tour - New England Revolution
- Rapids Midfielder MartÃn Rivero out 2-3 Months with Foot Injury - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Loans Kei Kamara to Norwich City F.C. - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Name Robin Fraser Assistant Coach - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Acquire MLS SuperDraft Pick for Plata - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC and Boulevard Enter into New Sponsorship Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Rookies Adapting Well as Casa Grande Trip Concludes - New England Revolution
- Revs drop final preseason match in Casa Grande - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.