Red Bulls Name Robin Fraser Assistant Coach
HARRISON, NJ (Jan. 30, 2013) - The New York Red Bulls announced today that they have named Robin Fraser assistant coach.
"Robin Fraser is a class act. I think he'll be an outstanding addition to our management team," said Red Bulls Sporting Director Andy Roxburgh. "First, he has the experience of MLS as a player and then as a winning assistant coach. He also had the opportunity on the front line as a head coach. He will bring an enormous amount of enthusiasm, knowledge and coaching acumen to our club."
"Andy and I have consulted extensively over the past weeks about additions to the staff before I was named head coach and believe Robin would be a great member of our team. I have known and respected Robin for many years and am excited that he decided to join the club," said Red Bulls head coach Mike Petke. "Robin's tremendous success as a player in MLS has carried over to his coaching career. We believe that he will be a huge resource for me, our staff and our players as we head into this season."
Fraser, 46, was previously the head coach for Chivas USA for the past two seasons, signing with the club on Jan. 4, 2011. Prior to his first stint as a head coach at Chivas, Fraser was one of the most highly regarded assistant coaches in Major League Soccer, serving under Real Salt Lake head coach Jason Kreis. Fraser was part of the staff that won MLS Cup in 2009 and helped set a record for the most consecutive home matches without a loss (29 league games).
Originally from Kingston, Jamaica, Fraser joined the coaching ranks following a successful career as a player. A two-time MLS Defender of the Year in 1999 and 2004 and a five-time MLS All-Star and MLS Best XI selection (1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2004), Fraser amassed a total of 260 appearances, playing with the LA Galaxy (1996-2000), Colorado Rapids (2001-03) and Columbus Crew (2004-05). Fraser also earned a spot on the U.S. National Team, earning 27 caps following his international debut on June 1, 1988. Prior to being an assistant coach with Real Salt Lake, he was the head coach of the RSL Arizona Under-17 team and Director of Coaching for Arizona Futbol Club.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 30, 2013
- Chivas USA Defeats FC Santa Clarita Storm, 4-1, in Second Preseason Scrimmage - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting KC Weekly Update - Sporting Kansas City
- Comcast SportsNet Houston Becomes New TV Home of the Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy to Host Club Tijuana in Friendly on February 19 - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Second Edition of the Mauro Biello Festival this Weekend - Montreal Impact
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- United's Andy Najar Transferred to Belgian Side R.S.C. Anderlecht - D.C. United
- Chicago Fire Fall 2-1 to Columbus Crew in Preseason Friendly - Chicago Fire
- Revs Announce 2013 Turf Tour - New England Revolution
- Rapids Midfielder MartÃn Rivero out 2-3 Months with Foot Injury - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Loans Kei Kamara to Norwich City F.C. - Sporting Kansas City
- Red Bulls Name Robin Fraser Assistant Coach - New York Red Bulls
- Real Salt Lake Acquires FW Joao Plata from Toronto FC - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Acquire MLS SuperDraft Pick for Plata - Toronto FC
- Sporting KC and Boulevard Enter into New Sponsorship Agreement - Sporting Kansas City
- Rookies Adapting Well as Casa Grande Trip Concludes - New England Revolution
- Revs drop final preseason match in Casa Grande - New England Revolution
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.