Rattlers Sign Former Sun Devil
PHOENIX - The Arizona Rattlers have signed former Arizona State defensive lineman Albrey Battle to a free agent contract, head coach Gene Nudo announced.
A seven-year Arena Football League veteran, Battle (OL/DL) joins the Rattlers after spending his entire indoor career with the San Jose SaberCats.
"He's very talented as a defensive player, but we also know he has offensive skills," Nudo said. "We know he's practiced as a center and you can never have enough centers."
Battle (6-4, 317) played four years at ASU, lining up at both defensive end and defensive tackle. The two-year starter collected 105 tackles and 11.5 sacks - including a personal best 44 tackles as a junior - in a collegiate career that earned him an honorable mention All-Pacific 10 selection as a senior. Battle was a sophomore on the 1996 Pac-10 championship squad that went undefeated during the regular season and competed in the Rose Bowl.
As a professional, Battle helped lead San Jose to a pair of Arena Bowl championships (2002, 2004) with 48.5 total tackles and 7.5 sacks for 36 yards in his SaberCats career. On offense, he has four career receptions for 79 yards and a touchdown.
Battle also spent time with the Tennessee Titans in 1999 and played six games with the XFL's San Francisco Demons in 2001.
The acquisition of Battle brings the number of former Sun Devils on the Rattlers roster to five, joining OL/DL Vince Amey, WR/LB Josh Golden, WR/LB Moey Mutz and DB R.J. Oliver.
"I think Albrey's excited about coming home," Nudo said. "He really made a good name for himself in this community - part of that Rose Bowl team for ASU with he and Vince Amey being teammates. It'll be good to reunite them."
The Rattlers will kick off their 16th season on March 3 when they take on the Georgia Force at the US Airways Center. Rattlers season tickets, group tickets and premium single game tickets can be purchased by calling 602-379-2333. Single game tickets are currently on sale through azrattlers.com, ticketmaster.com and the US Airways Center Box Office.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from January 17, 2007
- Predators land former NFL Pro Bowler Dwayne Carswell - Orlando Predators
- Rattlers Sign Former Sun Devil - Arizona Rattlers
- Music City Kittens Gear Up For 2007 - Nashville Kats
- Soul sign pair of fullbacks - Philadelphia Soul
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Arizona Rattlers Stories
- Rattlers Complete Undefeated Regular Season with Win over Strike Force, 57-16
- 2019 Week 17 Arizona Rattlers Game Preview vs San Diego Strike Force
- Rattlers Rally Past Sugar Skulls in Overtime; 50-49
- Conference Championship Tickets to Go on Sale this Friday at 10 a.m.
- 2019 Week 16 Arizona Rattlers Game Notes vs Tucson Sugar Skulls