Rapids Fall 3-1 to Real Salt Lake in Rocky Mountain Cup Finale
The Colorado Rapids fell short on the road to Real Salt Lake 3-1 on Saturday night at Rio Tinto Stadium. Unfortunately, the loss meant the Rocky Mountain Cup would not be coming back to Colorado.
Just 13 minutes into the first half, Damir Kreilach scored to put RSL up early, giving the home team the advantage.
With RSL up 1-0 to start the second half, the Rapids fought hard, but lacked offensively. RSL didn't let their foot off the gas and took a 2-0 lead with a goal from Rubio Rubin in the 57th minute
But in the 73rd minute, Younes Namli scored his first goal of the season to keep hopes alive and put the Rapids on the board (2-1).
Despite Colorado's best effort, Real Salt Lake sealed the match with a goal in the final minute (90+6') from Anderson Julio.
Despite tonight's loss, it was an evening full of many milestones for the Rapids squad. Most notably, captain Jack Price made his 100th appearance with the club. Not far behind is defender Keegan Rosenberry, who made his 80th appearance with the club and 160th appearance in MLS. Midfielder Cole Bassett also made his 50th appearance with the club. Earlier this week, Bassett was named to MLS's 22 Under 22 list presented by BodyArmor for the third year in a row.
In addition, defender Lalas Abubakar made his 80th MLS career appearance and his 59th with the club.
The Rapids will look to redeem themselves on Wednesday, October 20 when they return to DICK'S Sporting Goods Park to face the Seattle Sounders for the second time this month.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from October 17, 2021
- Red Bulls Defeat New York City FC 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC Travel to Face FC Cincinnati on Wednesday Before Hosting Real Salt Lake at Soldier Field on Saturday - Chicago Fire FC
- Red Bulls Stop NYCFCÃÂ 1-0 - New York City FC
- LA Galaxy Earn 2-1 Stoppage-Time Win over the Portland Timbers - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Drop Colorado Rapids 3-1 - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Drop 2-1 Result to La Galaxy on the Road - Portland Timbers
- MNUFC Earn Three Road Points in 1-0 Win at Austin - Minnesota United FC
- Rave Green Come up Short in 2-1 Loss at Houston, But Sounders FC Remains Atop the West - Seattle Sounders FC
- Austin FC Falls to Minnesota United FC, 1-0 - Austin FC
- Rapids Fall 3-1 to Real Salt Lake in Rocky Mountain Cup Finale - Colorado Rapids
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Rapids to Launch 'Rapids 2' Team in MLS NEXT Pro
- FAQ: Rapids 2 and MLS NEXT Pro
- Kellyn Acosta Nominated for U.S. Soccer's Player of the Year Award
- The 12 Biggest Storylines from the Rapids 2021 Season
- Mark-Anthony Kaye up for Canada Soccer Player of the Year