Rapids Add Joe Greenspan to Roster for MLS Games
Colorado Rapids have announced today that Joe Greenspan has been added to their roster and is eligible to play in MLS games after this weekend.
The 22-year-old, an ensign in the US Navy, was recently given an assignment in the Denver area and, this week, was granted permission to train at Dick's Sporting Goods Park with the team.
Following negotiations between both parties, his position has now been formalized so the six foot six inch center back will be able to play and train with the Rapids this season around the fulfillment of his Naval duties.
"We are delighted to add Joe to our roster," said Paul Bravo, VP of Soccer Operations and Technical Director. "His Naval record as a soccer player is second to none and he'll be a great addition. We'd like to thank the Navy for their assistance throughout this process."
Greenspan is one of the most decorated players in the history of Navy men's soccer, earning All-American honors as both a junior and senior and leading "The Mids" to the school's first NCAA tournament win in 42 years in 2013.
In May, he was awarded the NAAA Sword for Men, which is presented to the man of the graduating class who is considered by the Association's Athletic Council to have personally excelled in men's athletics during his years of varsity competition.
Rapids drafted Greenspan with the 26th overall selection (second round) of the 2015 MLS SuperDraft in January. He has already trained with the team in two spells this season and featured in preseason friendlies against UNLV and San Jose in Las Vegas.
Head Coach Pablo Mastroeni added: "We are very pleased to have Joe with us and it is a nice surprise to get him this early. He is a gentleman and, on the pitch, he has the ability to be one of the best defenders in the League. I'd like to pay credit to our scouting team who identified Joe and everyone who played a part in this process."
The Rapids have been able to add Greenspan to their 28-man roster as the club have designated goalkeeper John Berner to a season-long loan at Charlotte Independence, their USL affiliate team.
Greenspan has been given the number 20 but he is not eligible for selection for the Rocky Mountain Cup game at Real Salt Lake on Sunday, kickoff 3:00 p.m. MT.
Full Name: Joseph Greenspan
Born: September 12, 1992 (22 years old)
College: U.S. Naval Academy
Weight: 209 pounds
Home town: Westfield, New Jersey
Images from this story
Colorado Rapids Signee Joe Greenspan
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 5, 2015
- Houston Earns 4-2 Victory over New York - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo double-up on Red Bulls - Houston Dynamo
- Rapids Add Joe Greenspan to Roster for MLS Games - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Sporting Kansas City - June 6, 2015 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Toyota Stadium Selected to Host American Debut of Campeon De Campeones and SuperCopa - FC Dallas
- Gyasi Zardes Bags His First International Goal in the USMNT's Shock 4-3 Win over the Netherlands - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City U-16 and U-18 Development Academy Teams Advance to National Playoffs for First Time - Orlando City SC
- Sporting KC Announces Additions to Technical Staff - Sporting Kansas City
- #RSLvCOL MLS Match Preview - Colorado Rapids
- Sporting KC Hosts First-Place Seattle Sounders FC on Saturday - Sporting Kansas City
- Bradford Jamieson IV and the U.S. U-20 's Fall to Ukraine 3-0 at the U-20 World Cup - LA Galaxy
- Montreal Impact Takes on Crew SC in Columbus on Saturday - Club de Foot Montreal
- New York City FC Opens All of Yankee Stadium for June 28th Match against Red Bulls - New York City FC
- 20 Years Since Colorado Was Named a Major League Soccer Franchise - Colorado Rapids
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Finalist Montreal Impact Tomorrow - Columbus Crew SC
- Tickets for US Open Cup Fourth Round Match against Portland on Sale to General Public Today - Seattle Sounders FC
- Revs Head Back to the Pacific Northwest to Battle the Portland Timbers - New England Revolution
- Toronto FC Announce Friendly Match against English Premier League Club Sunderland A.F.C. - Toronto FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS
- Recapping the Rapids 2021 MLS SuperDraft
- Philip Mayaka's Soccer Journey from Kenya to MLS
- Rapids Look to Continue Recent Success at 2021 MLS SuperDraft on January 21
- Sam Vines Continues to Impress USMNT Coaching Staff Ahead of Olympic Qualifiers