RailCats Activate Liguori from Disabled List
GARY, Ind. - The Gary SouthShore RailCats activated left-handed pitcher Lars Liguori from the Disabled List and placed right-handed pitcher Quinn DiPasquale on irrevocable waivers before Monday's series opener against the Lincoln Saltdogs.
Liguori missed eight games from July 28th to August 5th after being placed on the DL for the second time this season with left elbow tendinitis. The southpaw was 1-6 with a 3.70 ERA in 13 games (nine starts) in his second season with Gary before being placed on the DL after previously pitching for the RailCats in 2016. Last season, Liguori was named a Frontier League All-Star with the RailCats sister club, the Schaumburg Boomers. The southpaw went 9-4 with a 3.44 ERA over 18 games (17 starts) in his second season with the Boomers and set career highs in wins, starts, strikeouts (82), innings pitched (99.1) and complete games (three).
In 2016 with Gary, Liguori went 1-1 with a 2.60 ERA in 19 relief appearances. Before pitching with the RailCats in 2016, Liguori went 2-1 with a 6.48 ERA in four starts with the Roswell Invaders of the Pecos League and finished 0-3 with a 6.19 ERA in three starts in his first season with Schaumburg.
The southpaw began his professional baseball career in 2014 with the Brownsville Charros of the United Baseball League, going 0-2 with two complete games, a save and a 2.98 ERA in eight games (five starts) before signing with the Sioux City Explorers later in the season. In eight starts with Sioux City in his first season in the American Association, Liguori went 2-4 with a 6.36 ERA in nine games (eight starts). The following season, Liguori signed with Roswell, posting a 4-1 record with two complete games, two saves and a 3.99 ERA over seven games (five starts).
DiPasquale went 1-0 with a 5.68 ERA in four relief appearances with the RailCats after signing his first professional baseball contract with Gary on July 27th following his senior year at the Stevens Institute of Technology in Hoboken, N.J. DiPasquale struck out the first three batters he faced in his pro debut on July 28th against the Cleburne Railroaders and recorded his first pro win the very next day against Cleburne after retiring all four hitters he faced in 1.1 scoreless innings of relief.
As a senior at SIT, DiPasquale was named a Collegiate Baseball Newspaper Player of the Year to Watch candidate and was selected to the Empire 8 Honorable Mention All-Conference Team after going 4-3 with a 3.90 ERA in a team-high 12 starts and one shutout as a senior. A native of Chelmsford, Mass., DiPasquale was named a Northwoods Summer Collegiate Baseball League All-Star after going 6-2 with a 3.66 ERA and 56 strikeouts over 61.1 innings with the Wisconsin Rapids Rafters.
Gary begins a three-game series vs. the Lincoln Saltdogs on Monday night at 7:10 p.m. RailCats LHP Jeff McKenzie (4-7. 4.47) gets the ball in against his former team in the series opener while the Saltdogs counter with LHP Kyle Kinman (4-2, 4.14). Monday's game vs. Lincoln is another Metro PCS Monday and the first time the Saltdogs visit U.S. Steel Yard this year.
Jared Shlensky and Brennan Mense bring you all 100 RailCats game this season on WEFM (95.9 FM) and online at railcatsbaseball.com. Ticket packages for the 2018 Gary SouthShore RailCats season are available online at railcatsbaseball.com and can also be purchased by calling the RailCats ticket line at (219) 882-BALL. The RailCats box office is open Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 6, 2018
- Four Run First Propels Saints to 6-4 Victory over Canaries - St. Paul Saints
- Railroaders Take Series-Opener from Goldeyes - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Kansas City Smokes the Hogs 4-2 - Kansas City T-Bones
- Railroaders Take Opener North of the Border - Cleburne Railroaders
- Former Major League Legend Palmeiro Visits Winnipeg - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Saints Shore up Defense with Slick Fielding Infielder Joey Wong - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Bolster Roster with Brett - Kansas City T-Bones
- LPD and LFR Set for Home Run Challenge at Haymarket Park - Lincoln Saltdogs
- RailCats Activate Liguori from Disabled List - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Vernia Named Pitcher of the Week - Sioux City Explorers
- Dirty Dozen, 12-Hit Week Lands Saints Zach Walters American Association Pointstreak Player of the Week - St. Paul Saints
- T-Bones Return Home this Week - Kansas City T-Bones
- Thomas Continues Chase for MVP as AirHogs Wrap Series vs. X's - Texas AirHogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gary SouthShore Railcats Stories
- RailCats Season Pass Offers Unlimited Fun in All-New General Admission Seat
- RailCats End Season with First Home Sweep, Shutout Saltdogs, 3-0
- Lubking, De Jesus Lead 'Cats to 3-1 Victory over Saltdogs in Penultimate Game
- Griffin, Bullpen Blank Saltdogs,2-0, in Series Opener
- RailCats Swept by Goldeyes in Final Road Game of Season