Rachel Daly Named to England Women's National Team to Play in Sold-Out Game at Wembley Stadium
HOUSTON - Houston Dash forward Rachel Daly was named to the England Women's National Team roster by head coach Phil Neville for two international friendlies, the Football Association announced earlier today. The Lionesses will make history when they take on Germany in front of a sellout crowd in excess of 90,000 fans at Wembley Stadium.
England, currently ranked fifth in the world by FIFA, will double their home record in attendance, which is currently 45,619 against Germany at Wembley in 2014. Daly and the Lionesses will take on Germany again at 11:30 a.m. CDT on Saturday, November 9 at Wembley Stadium in London, England. Three days later, the Lionesses will face Czech Republic at 1:15 p.m. CST on Tuesday, November 12 at Stadion Strelecky ostrov in Czech Republic.
Daly has scored three goals in 29 appearances for the Lionesses. The Harrogate, England native helped her country reach the semifinals of the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup this summer in France, eventually finishing the tournament in fourth place. Prior to the World Cup, Daly and the Lionesses won the 2019 She Believes Cup after two victories over Brazil and Japan and a draw with the United States.
This season with the Dash, Daly scored five goals in 15 appearances, starting in every game she's played. The forward was named the club's Most Valuable Player in 2018 after she scored a career-high 10 goals in her third season in Houston.
Selected sixth overall by the Dash in the 2016 NWSL Draft, Daly ranks second in club history with 24 goals. She has appeared in 78 games with 74 starts in her first four seasons, seeing time at both forward and right back for the club. Daly scored her first goal of the 2019 season in a matchup against the North Carolina Courage on April 28 at BBVA Stadium. Later in the season, she slotted two goals in against Utah on May 11 to give the Dash their third victory of the season. Three of her five goals this season have been game-winners .
• Discuss this story on the National Women's Soccer League message board...
National Women's Soccer League Stories from October 29, 2019
- Bethany Balcer Named NWSL Rookie of the Year - OL Reign
- NWSL Announces 2019 Rookie of the Year - NWSL
- Rachel Daly Named to England Women's National Team to Play in Sold-Out Game at Wembley Stadium - Houston Dash
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dash Stories
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Dash and Head Coach James Clarkson agree to new contract
- Dash FW Rachel Daly Called up by England for October Friendly vs. Germany
- Dash close NWSL Fall Series with 2-1 win over Orlando Pride
- Three Points: Dash Visit Orlando Pride for Final Match of 2020 Verizon Community Shield on Friday