Quick Start Dooms B-Sens in 5-2 Loss to Comets
UTICA, N.Y. - The Binghamton Senators were unable to overcome a fast start from the Utica Comets falling 5-2 at the Utica Memorial Auditorium Friday night.
The Comets started the night with three goals over 1:56. Darren Archibald scored the first goal 9:28 into the night when he skated up the right hand side of the B-Sens zone on his own and beat Matt O'Connor. Curtis Valk and Alexandre Grenier assisted on Archibald's 18th goal of the year.
Just over a minute later, Jason LaBate scored his third of the season from a similar spot in the right faceoff circle with Chad Billins and former B-Sens forward Wacey Hamilton picking up the assists.
Jordan Subban capitalized on a power-play opportunity just 44 seconds later after he sent home a slap shot from the blue line only two seconds into the man up chance. Cody Kunyk and Archibald helped assist on Subban's 14th goal of the season.
Binghamton got one back 20 seconds later when Ben Harpur released a shot from the top of the right faceoff circle that Nick Paul deflected in to move the score to 3-1. Jason Akeson had the secondary assist on Paul's 10th goal of the year.
Pascal Pelletier scored his seventh goal of the year to bring the score to 4-1 in favor of Utica and ending O'Connor's night in net. Borna Rendulic sent a pass in front of O'Connor to Pelletier on the left side of the ice who then found the back of the net at the 12:33 mark of the first. Binghamton finished the first period trailing 4-1 to Utica while being outshot 18-13.
Despite a strong presence by Binghamton in the middle frame, the score stayed at 4-1 in favor of Utica with the Comets leading the shots 32-18.
Binghamton cut Utica's lead in half during a power play 12:01 into the final period. Phil Varone set up a shot for Casey Bailey in the slot that was stopped by Demko. Jason Akeson picked up the rebound from Demko's pad in the left faceoff circle and knocked in his 10th goal of the season.
Grenier ended the game with an empty-net goal with 19 seconds to play to move the final score to 5-2 with assists from Valk and Ashton Sautner.
Driedger stopped 26 shots while O'Connor was handed the loss having 10 saves. Demko stopped 28 shots to earn the win.
Binghamton continues the three-in-three weekend with a matchup against the Syracuse Crunch on Saturday night at 7:00 p.m. The team returns home on Sunday, March 5, with a special 5:05 p.m. puck drop against the Crunch. Fans can purchase tickets on Sunday from 8:00 a.m. until the second intermission by calling (607) 722-7367 or visiting the B-Sens Executive Office on the third floor of the Arena. Fans can tune in on U.S. Country 96.9 FM, 680 AM, iHeartRadio's website and mobile app, and AHL Live.
For more information on tickets, including pricing and location, visit www.binghamtonsenators.com or call the Senators front office at 607-722-SENS (7367).
Stay current with the latest team news by visiting www.binghamtonsenators.com. Follow the Senators all year long on Facebook (/binghamtonsenators), Twitter (@SenatorsAHL), Instagram (@senatorsahl), Snapchat (@bsenshockey), and the team's Youtube channel (/BinghamtonSenators).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 3, 2017
- Phantoms Hold off Springfield 5-4 in Road-Trip Opener - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Amerks Sunk by IceCaps, 3-0 - Rochester Americans
- Devils Push Past Bruins in 4-3 Victory - Albany Devils
- Comets Use Four-Goal First Period to Propel to Victory - Utica Comets
- Crunch Suffer 5-1 Loss to Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Quick Start Dooms B-Sens in 5-2 Loss to Comets - Binghamton Senators
- IceCaps Blank Amerks 3-0 - St. John's IceCaps
- Mcintyre Suffers First Regulation Defeat As P-Bruins Fall 4-3 - Providence Bruins
- Wolves' March Madness Features Multiple Giveaway Nights - Chicago Wolves
- Blue Jackets Recall T.J. Tynan from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Blackhawks Recall Glass - Rockford IceHogs
- Irish Night Returns on Friday, March 10 - Rochester Americans
- Hogs Kick-Off Weekend Set against Moose - Rockford IceHogs
- Nestrasil Assigned To Charlotte Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Texas and Dallas Make Roster Moves - Texas Stars
- Heat Complete Home-And-Home Series in Ontario At 7:00pm - Stockton Heat
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign Close Home-And-Home Series With Heat - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.