Quakes Homegrown Midfielder Gilbert Fuentes Called to U.S. U-17 National Team
SAN JOSE, Calif. - San Jose Earthquakes Homegrown midfielder Gilbert Fuentes has been called to the United State U-17 National Team for a domestic training camp in Lakewood Ranch, Florida by new head coach Raphael Wicky.
The camp, which runs April 4-8, will serve as the team's final gathering before it kicks off the 2019 Concacaf U-17 Championship on May 2 against Canada. The USA will face Canada, Barbados and Guatemala in the group stage of the 2019 Concacaf U-17 Championship, where the U-17s will aim to qualify for a record 17th World Cup at this age level.
Fuentes, 17, has been a regular with the U.S. Youth National Teams, competing for the U-15s, U-16s and U-17s in the past. After competing extensively with the U-15s in 2017, including at the Concacaf U-15 Championship, Fuentes received his first call-up to the U.S. U-17s in November 2017 for the Men's Nike International Friendlies. He also received a call-up to U.S. Soccer's first-ever Men's YNT Summit Camp in December 2017.
The Tracy, Calif. native joined the Quakes as a Homegrown Player on Jan. 28, 2018, becoming the team's youngest-ever signing. During his rookie season, he became the youngest player to feature for the club in MLS play at 16 years and eight months. Fuentes has tallied one assist in two starts for the Quakes' USL affiliate Reno 1868 FC so far in 2019.
U-17 Men's National Team Roster (Club; Hometown)
GOALKEEPERS (4): Aaron Cervantes (Orange County SC; Chino Hills, Calif.), Bryan Dowd (FC United; Willow Springs, Ill.), Damian Las (Chicago Fire; Norridge, Ill.), Chituru Odunze (Vancouver Whitecaps FC/CAN; Calgary, Alberta)
DEFENDERS (8): Axel Alejandre (FC United; Chicago, Ill.), Adam Armour (North Carolina FC; Cary, N.C.) Mauricio Cuevas (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Tayvon Gray (New York City FC; Bronx, N.Y.), Kobe Hernandez (LA Galaxy; Los Angeles, Calif.), Antino Lopez (Shattuck - St. Mary's; Las Vegas, Nev.), Joe Scally (New York City FC; Lake Grove, N.Y.), John Tolkin (New York Red Bulls; Chatham, N.J.)
MIDFIELDERS (5): Gilbert Fuentes (San Jose Earthquakes; Tracy, Calif.), Bryang Kayo (D.C. United; Poolesville, Md.), Daniel Leyva (Seattle Sounders FC; Las Vegas, Nev.), Adam Saldana (LA Galaxy; Panorama City, Calif.), Peter Stroud (West Ham United/ENG; Chester, N.J.)
FORWARDS (9): Sagir David Arce (Morelia/MEX; Chihuahua, Mexico), Jack de Vries (Philadelphia Union; Wayne, Pa.), Cameron Dunbar (LA Galaxy; Chula Vista, Calif.), Andres Jasson (New York City FC; Greenwich, Conn.), Alfonso Ocampo-Chavez (Seattle Sounders FC; Kent, Wash.), Ricardo Pepi (FC Dallas; McKinney, Texas), Joshua Pynadath (Ajax/NED; Los Altos Hills, Calif.), Giovanni Reyna (Unattached; Bedford, N.Y.), Griffin Yow (D.C. United; Clifton, Va.)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 2, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Issues Statement on Fanendo Adi - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Forward Fanendo Adi to Undergo Assessment Pursuant to MLS SABH Policy - MLS
- Generation adidas Cup Announces International Clubs, Full Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Quakes Homegrown Midfielder Gilbert Fuentes Called to U.S. U-17 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Nicolas Hasler - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy to Host Firefighter Appreciation Night April 13 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Jason Hernandez Announces His Retirement - Toronto FC
- Generation adidas Cup Announces Houston Dynamo U-17 Academy Schedule - Houston Dynamo FC
- Generation adidas Cup Announces International Clubs, Full Schedule - D.C. United
- Generation adidas Cup Announces International Clubs, Full Schedule - MLS
- Nani Supplying Assists, But Orlando City Think Best Is Yet to Come - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Host Fifth Annual Autism Awareness Match on Saturday, April 27 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Top in the East Faces Top in the West this Saturday on FOX - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.