Generation adidas Cup Announces Houston Dynamo U-17 Academy Schedule
HOUSTON - Major League Soccer announced today that the Houston Dynamo U-17 squad will compete in Group B of the U-17 Premier Division of the 2019 Generation adidas Cup in Frisco, Texas from April 13-20.
The Dynamo U-17 team will face FC Midtylland from Denmark, which was the first full-time Danish football academy established in the Scandinavian country. South Korean powerhouse Ulsan Hyundai FC will also compete in Group B and will make its debut in the tournament at the U-17 level. Group B also features two MLS clubs in Orlando City SC and the Portland Timbers.
The future stars of MLS will test their skills against some of the most renowned professional academies in the world in the expanded U-17 competition that includes 15 premier international clubs. Among the esteemed international academies set to play in the 2019 Generation adidas Cup include England's West Ham United, France's Olympique Lyonnais, Spain's Valencia, Argentine power River Plate, Brazilian side Flamengo, and Croatian giant Dinamo Zagreb, among others.
MLS clubs will also see regional rivalries play out in the tournament with eight Liga MX clubs playing in the U-17 and U-15 divisions. Club América, Monterrey, Tijuana and Deportivo Toluca will face MLS teams in the U-17 portion of play.
The newly formed U-15 tournament between MLS and Liga MX clubs is the latest competitive initiative in the collaboration between the two leagues, following in the footsteps of the Campeones Cup and the annual MLS Homegrown Game team which pits the MLS squad against a Liga MX U-20 opponent. Chivas de Guadalajara, Club Leon, Cruz Azul and Monterrey will each face the four MLS sides once, setting up an exciting fifth and final matchup pitting the first-place Liga MX side against the top MLS club in a winner-take-all showdown.
The Generation adidas Cup has developed into the premier youth tournament in which elite MLS academy players test their talents against international competition. Previous MLS academy products to participate in the tournament in recent years include Efrain Ãlvarez (LA Galaxy / LA Galaxy Academy), Weston McKennie (Schalke 04 / FC Dallas Academy), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire / Chicago Fire Academy), and Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas / FC Dallas Academy), among others.
To register for media credentials to the 2019 Generation adidas Cup, click the following link - 2019 Generation adidas Cup Credential Application
Click here for all informational assets around Generation adidas Cup including the full schedule
U-17 Champions Division
GROUP A GROUP B GROUP C GROUP D
Club América CA Peñarol CA River Plate Flamengo
FC Dallas GNK Dinamo Zagreb New York City FC Montreal Impact
New York Red Bulls LA Galaxy Olympique Lyonnais Seattle Sounders FC
West Ham United FC Toronto FC Real Salt Lake Valencia CF
U-17 Premier Division
GROUP A GROUP B GROUP C GROUP D
Atlanta United FC Midtylland C.F. Monterrey Colorado Rapids
Chicago Fire Houston Dynamo Columbus Crew SC Deportivo Toluca FC
Club Tijuana Orlando City SC Sporting Kansas City Mount Pleasant FA
D.C. United Portland Timbers UMF Fjölnir New England Revolution
San Jose Earthquakes Ulsan Hyundai FC Vancouver Whitecaps FC Philadelphia Union
MLS LIGA MX
Los Angeles Football Club C.D. Guadalajara
New York Red Bulls C.F. Monterrey
Philadelphia Union Club León
Toronto FC Cruz Azul
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 2, 2019
- FC Cincinnati Issues Statement on Fanendo Adi - FC Cincinnati
- FC Cincinnati Forward Fanendo Adi to Undergo Assessment Pursuant to MLS SABH Policy - MLS
- Generation adidas Cup Announces International Clubs, Full Schedule - Atlanta United FC
- Quakes Homegrown Midfielder Gilbert Fuentes Called to U.S. U-17 National Team - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sporting KC Signs Defender Nicolas Hasler - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy to Host Firefighter Appreciation Night April 13 at Dignity Health Sports Park - LA Galaxy
- Jason Hernandez Announces His Retirement - Toronto FC
- Generation adidas Cup Announces Houston Dynamo U-17 Academy Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Generation adidas Cup Announces International Clubs, Full Schedule - D.C. United
- Generation adidas Cup Announces International Clubs, Full Schedule - MLS
- Nani Supplying Assists, But Orlando City Think Best Is Yet to Come - Orlando City SC
- New York Red Bulls to Host Fifth Annual Autism Awareness Match on Saturday, April 27 at Red Bull Arena - New York Red Bulls
- Top in the East Faces Top in the West this Saturday on FOX - this Week in MLS - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Houston Dynamo FC & Kroger to Offer Drive-Thru Flu Shots December 5 at BBVA Stadium
- Dynamo Charities to Host Holiday Food Drive at BBVA Stadium Saturday
- Houston Dynamo Football Club and Houston Dash Unveil New Club Initiatives, Brand Identity and Primary Badges
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Report for International Duty
- Houston Dynamo Re-Sign Defender Zarek Valentin